Electron's trajectory in positively charged hollow cylinder

In summary: Just integrate the potential over the distance traveled by the electron.In summary, the conversation discusses how an electron moves when released from rest inside a finite, insulating, positively charged hollow cylinder. It is suggested that there is no electric field inside the cylinder, causing the electron to be affected only by gravitational force. However, due to the tiny mass of an electron, gravity can be ignored. The next task is to calculate the work done by the electric field on the electron, which can be done by finding the electric potential as a function of position and then integrating it over the distance traveled by the electron. The idea that there is no electric field inside the cylinder is debated, as it is mentioned that a value of exactly zero would require a special
Mary001
How an electron moves when it is released from rest to a positively charged hollow cylinder? The hollow cylinder is finite and insulating. The electron is constrained to move only in z direction (into the center of the hollow cylinder). My thinking is that there is no electric field inside the hollow cylinder. Therefore, the electron will not be affected by the electric field. So what causes it to move should be gravitational force and it should travel towards the earth? But an electron's mass is tiny so gravity can be ignored here? Also, the next task asks me to calculate the work done by the electric field on the electron to make it travel. I think I'm not on the right track now.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?
Edit: moved to homework section now.

Mary001 said:
My thinking is that there is no electric field inside the hollow cylinder.
There is, as the cylinder is finite.
Mary001 said:
So what causes it to move should be gravitational force and it should travel towards the earth? But an electron's mass is tiny so gravity can be ignored here?
Gravity can be ignored for electrons. Even the tiniest deviation from some exact geometry of electric fields will be orders of magnitude more important than gravity.

Can you find the electric potential as function of position?

Last edited:
mfb said:
Is this homework?

It is a question from my mid-exam sample

mfb said:
There is, as the cylinder is finite.
Gravity can be ignored for electrons. Even the tiniest deviation from some exact geometry of electric fields will be orders of magnitude more important than gravity.

Oh really? I've read some documents and they say electric field in a hollow cylinder is zero. I can see that in this case, as the finite is finite, there is electric field. But why's that?

mfb said:
Can you find the electric potential as function of position?

Yep, I can. Is it how I should start with to find the work done by the electric field?

Mary001 said:
Oh really? I've read some documents and they say electric field in a hollow cylinder is zero. I can see that in this case, as the finite is finite, there is electric field. But why's that?
Why should it be zero? A value of exactly zero requires something special, like a symmetry (a cylinder of infinite length).

Yep, I can. Is it how I should start with to find the work done by the electric field?
If you can calculate the potential, the work done should be easy.

1. What is the direction of an electron's trajectory in a positively charged hollow cylinder?

The electron's trajectory in a positively charged hollow cylinder will depend on the strength and direction of the electric field inside the cylinder. If the electric field is strong enough, the electron will be accelerated towards the positive end of the cylinder. If the electric field is weaker or non-existent, the electron will follow a straight path or may even be repelled from the positive end of the cylinder.

2. How does the radius of the hollow cylinder affect the electron's trajectory?

The radius of the hollow cylinder will determine the strength of the electric field inside the cylinder. A larger radius will result in a weaker electric field, while a smaller radius will result in a stronger electric field. The strength of the electric field will in turn affect the electron's trajectory, as described in the previous answer.

3. Can an electron's trajectory in a positively charged hollow cylinder be controlled?

Yes, the electron's trajectory in a positively charged hollow cylinder can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the electric field inside the cylinder. This can be achieved by varying the charge and geometry of the cylinder, as well as the potential difference between the positive and negative ends.

4. What factors can cause the electron's trajectory to deviate from the expected path?

Aside from the strength and direction of the electric field, other factors that can affect the electron's trajectory in a positively charged hollow cylinder include the initial velocity of the electron, the presence of other electric or magnetic fields, and collisions with other particles present in the cylinder.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that an electron can attain in a positively charged hollow cylinder?

No, there is no maximum velocity for an electron in a positively charged hollow cylinder. The electron can continuously accelerate as long as there is an electric field present. However, at very high velocities, relativistic effects may come into play and affect the electron's trajectory.