Electric Field of a Cylinder (Hollow/Solid) at the face

In summary: Is this a correct solution?In summary, for part a, to find the electric field at the origin for a hollow cylinder with charge density σ and radius R, we must integrate the electric field of a charged ring (a distance z from its center) from z = 0 to z = ∞. The resulting expression is kσ2π/R, which can also be written as σ/2εo. For part b, to find the electric field at the origin for a solid cylinder with charge density ρ and radius R, we must integrate the electric field of a charged disk (a distance z from its center) from z = 0 to z = ∞. The resulting expression is ρR/2εo
adenine7

Homework Statement

Part a.
A cylinder (with no face) is centered symmetrically around the z axis, going from the origin to infinity. It has charge density σ and radius R. Find the electric field at the origin.

Part b.
Same problem, except this time instead of a hollow cylinder with no face we have a solid cylinder. It also now has charge density ρ. Find the electric field at the origin.

Homework Equations

Ering = kQz/(z2+ R2)3/2

σ =dq/2πRdz

Edisk = σ/o * (1 - z/(z2+R2)1/2)

ρ =dq/πR2dz

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that to complete part a I must integrate the electric field of a charged ring (a distance z from its center) from z = 0 to z = ∞. I understand that to complete part b I must integrate the electric field of a charged disk (a distance z from its center) from z = 0 to z = ∞. Here is my solution to part a (I'm not sure if it's correct):

EHollow Cylinder = ∫0 kQz/(z2+ R2)3/2 dz = kσ2π/R

I don't know how to set up the integral for part b. When I integrate the equation for Edisk, with a dz tacked onto the end (not so sure about this), I get undefined. Is this a part of the problem, or is my math incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

adenine7 said:
EHollow Cylinder = ∫0 kQz/(z2+ R2)3/2 dz = kσ2π/R
If you check the dimensions of your answer, you can see that it has the wrong dimensions for electric field.

The integral should represent a "sum" of fields of infinitesimally thin rings. The charge in one of the rings will be infinitesimal and should be represented by dq rather than Q. You can express dq in terms of the the charge density σ and dz. (This is how dz gets into the integral.)

Thanks for the reply!
I think I made a mistake typing that in; the equation I integrated (which I did not correctly transcribe, sorry for the confusion) is with dQ = σ2πRdz (that's why my final answer has σ2π in it).

Assuming this is the correct answer, here's where I get stuck with part b. Rather than being able to manipulate Q into an expression of σ and area, the equation for the electric field of a disk already has σ (which I assume can just be replaced with ρ). I don't see anything I can manipulate but the ρ to get a dz into the equation, but when I do that I get a dq and a dz.

adenine7 said:
Thanks for the reply!
I think I made a mistake typing that in; the equation I integrated (which I did not correctly transcribe, sorry for the confusion) is with dQ = σ2πRdz (that's why my final answer has σ2π in it).

Yes, dQ = σ2πRdz. But, your answer to part (a) is not correct. You can see that your result has the wrong dimensions for an electric field. I think you are probably just making a minor error in not keeping track of the factors of R.

Assuming this is the correct answer, here's where I get stuck with part b. Rather than being able to manipulate Q into an expression of σ and area, the equation for the electric field of a disk already has σ (which I assume can just be replaced with ρ). I don't see anything I can manipulate but the ρ to get a dz into the equation, but when I do that I get a dq and a dz.

You cannot replace σ with ρ. They do not have the same meaning or the same dimensions. If dQ represents the total charge in one of the disks of thickness dz, try expressing dQ in terms of ρ, R, and dz. Then, get an expression for σ in terms of ρ and dz by noting that σ = dQ/(area of disk).

Likes adenine7
Part a.
If I integrate kσ2πRz/(z2+ R2)3/2 dz from 0 to ∞ I get kσ2π, which checks out with dimensions. I believe I was forgetting to integrate with the extra z in the numerator (which does not get replaced by dz).

Part b.

Thank you for explaining the difference between ρ and σ! I thought they were interchangeable.

dQ = ρπR2dz

σ = dQ / 2πR = ρπR2dz / 2πR = ρRdz / 2

However, integrating with this substitution from 0 to ∞ still gets me an undefined solution.

0 (ρR / 4εo) * (1 - z / (z2+R2)1/2) dz = [(ρzr / 4εo) - (ρr (z2 + r2)1/2 / 4εo)]0

adenine7 said:
Part a.
If I integrate kσ2πRz/(z2+ R2)3/2 dz from 0 to ∞ I get kσ2π, which checks out with dimensions. I believe I was forgetting to integrate with the extra z in the numerator (which does not get replaced by dz).
OK. That looks good. Of course, you could express your answer in terms of ε0 instead of k.
Part b.
Thank you for explaining the difference between ρ and σ! I thought they were interchangeable.

dQ = ρπR2dz

σ = dQ / 2πR = ρπR2dz / 2πR = ρRdz / 2

Is 2πR the correct expression for the area of the disk?

However, integrating with this substitution from 0 to ∞ still gets me an undefined solution.

0 (ρR / 4εo) * (1 - z / (z2+R2)1/2) dz = [(ρzr / 4εo) - (ρr (z2 + r2)1/2 / 4εo)]0
To evaluate "at infinity" you need to take the limit of the expression as z → ∞. You should find that the limit is finite.

Expressing my electric field for a hollow cylinder in terms of εo, I get σ / 2εo. So, this is the same as the electric field for an infinite sheet of charge at distance z away?

For part b., I changed the expression for σ (fixed the area of a disk) and got σ = ρdz. I did what you said and expressed the integral evaluation as E = limb → ∞- [E(b) - E(0)]. I get E = ρR / 2εo. This checks for the dimensions of E, I believe (though clearly I'm prone to simple mistakes).

adenine7 said:
Expressing my electric field for a hollow cylinder in terms of εo, I get σ / 2εo. So, this is the same as the electric field for an infinite sheet of charge at distance z away?
Yes. That's an interesting coincidence!

For part b., I changed the expression for σ (fixed the area of a disk) and got σ = ρdz. I did what you said and expressed the integral evaluation as E = limb → ∞- [E(b) - E(0)]. I get E = ρR / 2εo. This checks for the dimensions of E, I believe (though clearly I'm prone to simple mistakes).
That all looks correct to me. Good work.

Thank you so much for your help! You're a great teacher.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a cylinder at the face?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a cylinder at the face depends on whether the cylinder is solid or hollow. For a solid cylinder, the formula is E = λ/2πε_0r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point at which the electric field is being calculated. For a hollow cylinder, the formula is E = λ/2πε_0r^2, where r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How does the electric field of a hollow cylinder at the face compare to that of a solid cylinder?

The electric field of a hollow cylinder at the face is stronger than that of a solid cylinder. This is because the charge is spread out over the surface of the hollow cylinder, resulting in a higher linear charge density. Additionally, the electric field decreases with distance from the center of the cylinder, so the closer the point is to the surface, the stronger the electric field will be.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at the face of a cylinder?

The direction of the electric field at the face of a cylinder depends on the direction of the charge. If the charge is positive, the electric field will point away from the cylinder. If the charge is negative, the electric field will point towards the cylinder.

4. Can the electric field at the face of a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the electric field at the face of a cylinder can be negative. This would occur if the charge on the cylinder is negative, causing the electric field to point towards the cylinder instead of away from it.

5. How does the electric field at the face of a cylinder change with distance?

The electric field at the face of a cylinder decreases with distance, following an inverse relationship. As the distance from the center of the cylinder increases, the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field lines spread out over a larger area as distance increases, resulting in a weaker electric field.