Electrons, wire, amps and magnetic fields?

In summary: F = 1.602*10^-19*2.5*10^6*.33 ??F=1.602*10^-19*2.5*10^6*.33 ?? .33 is distance between the wire and the electron. What you want to have in its place is B = μ0I/(2πr).
heston1980
An electron is moving by a wire that is carrying 10 amps of current
e-----------------------------> (electrons)
0===============I-->======== (wire)

if the electron is moving by the wire at 2.5x10^6 m/s and is .33 m from the wire how do I find these two answers?

A) The magnetic field strength 0.33 m from the wire
B) The force exerted on the electron by the magnetic field? including the direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
heston1980 said:
An electron is moving by a wire that is carrying 10 amps of current
e-----------------------------> (electrons)
0===============I-->======== (wire)

if the electron is moving by the wire at 2.5x10^6 m/s and is .33 m from the wire how do I find these two answers?

A) The magnetic field strength 0.33 m from the wire
B) The force exerted on the electron by the magnetic field? including the direction?

A) What formula can you use to determine the strength of a magnetic field created by a current in a wire?
Biot-Savart's law.

B) What's the formula to determine the force exerted on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field?
Lorentz force.

da_nang said:
A) What formula can you use to determine the strength of a magnetic field created by a current in a wire?
Biot-Savart's law.

B) What's the formula to determine the force exerted on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field?
Lorentz force.

I'm totally lost and don't understand either formulas

A current I that goes through a wire generates a magnetic field at distance r from the wire with a magnetic flux density B. The magnetic flux density is calculated as B = μ0I/(2πr), where μ0 is the magnetic constant. (π is pi) Use this for A).

In B), a charged particle with charge Q traveling at velocity v in a magnetic field with magnetic flux density B is exerted by the Lorentz force which is F = Q[E + vxB]. However, Lorentz force is sometimes used for the magnetic component. The magnetic force is expressed as Fm = QvxB (Italics indicate vectors, the x denotes the cross product).

In scalar form, this becomes Fm = QvBsin(θ), where θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field density vectors. Given that the particle moves parallell with the wire in B), the vectors are perpendicular and thus θ = 90º and sin(θ) = sin(90º) = 1. Thus Fm = QvB. Use this to calculate the force exerted on the electron.

The direction of the force and the magnetic field density vectors are given by the right-hand rule.

F=1.602*10^-19*2.5*10^6*.33 ??

heston1980 said:
F=1.602*10^-19*2.5*10^6*.33 ??
.33 is distance between the wire and the electron. What you want to have in its place is B = μ0I/(2πr).

Basically, you have these data:

Q = -1.6021773*10-19 C (Although in this assignemnt, you can skip the negative sign and find out the direction later.)
v = 2.5*106 m/s
I = 10 A
r = 0.33 m

Now for A), plug the corresponding data into the formula B = μ0I/(2πr). For B), to get a more precise value, substitute B in the formula for the magnetic force:

F = QvB = Qvμ0I/(2πr). Plug in the data to get your answer.

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and orbits the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How does electricity flow through a wire?

Electricity is carried through a wire by the movement of electrons. When a voltage is applied to the wire, the electrons are pushed in one direction, creating a flow of electricity.

3. What is an amp?

An amp (short for ampere) is the unit of measurement for electric current. It represents the amount of electric charge passing through a point in one second.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with electrons?

Magnetic fields exert a force on moving electrons, causing them to change direction and move in a curved path. This is the principle behind electric motors and generators.

5. What is the relationship between amps and magnetic fields?

The strength of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of electric current (in amps) flowing through a wire. The greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field.