Interesting Magnetic Field Induction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an isolated wire with low resistivity and a constant current being sent through it. The wire is analyzed from two different systems of reference, one being non-moving and the other moving with a speed parallel to the current flow. The goal is to find the magnetic field induction and Lorentz Force on an electron in both reference frames, taking into account the positive charge of atomic ions. The direction of current is defined in terms of conventional current, and there may be difficulties in keeping track of signs when transforming between frames of reference.
Klaus von Faust

Homework Statement

Suppose we have an isolated, long, narrow straight wire with low electrical resistivity. A constant current ##I## is sent through this wire. We know that if an electron is sent on a path which is perpendicular to the wire, towards it, with an initial speed ##v_0##, and the electron starts moving from a distance ##x##, the maximal approach distance is ##\frac x 2##. We will analyse the wire from two different systems of reference, one being a non-moving(with respect to the wire) system, and the other being a reference system moving with a speed of ##v'## parallel to the wire in the direction of the current flow. Find out the magnetic field induction of the wire in both of the reference systems. Find the Lorentz Force acting on the electron in both reference frames, and their vectorial difference.

Homework Equations

##\vec F_L=q[\vec v \vec B]##
##I=nevS##
## \oint \vec B \cdot d \vec{l} = \mu_0 I ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the circulation theorem, it is easy to find out the magnetic field induction in the first case
##B=\frac {\mu_0I} {2\pi r} ##
That is what I did for the second case
##I=nevS##
##I'=neS(v-v')=I-neSv'## therefore ##I'=I(1-\frac v v')##
All I have to do now is to find the velocity of the electrons in the wire. I don't know ##n## and ##S## and don't know what can I do next. I need the induction to solve the next part

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Besides the negative charge of the conduction electrons, there is also the positive charge of the atomic ions. In the first frame of reference, the positive charge is at rest. But in the second frame, the positive charge is in motion and contributes to the overall current in this frame. Your calculation of ##I'## has not taken this into account.

The problem statement seems odd to me. The information about the electron that is projected toward the wire doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with the question about the magnetic induction in the two frames of reference. Have you quoted the question statement exactly? Are there any additional parts of the problem that you have not given?

Are you supposed to include relativistic effects when transforming between the frames of reference?

TSny said:
Besides the negative charge of the conduction electrons, there is also the positive charge of the atomic ions. In the first frame of reference, the positive charge is at rest. But in the second frame, the positive charge is in motion and contributes to the overall current in this frame. Your calculation of ##I'## has not taken this into account.

The problem statement seems odd to me. The information about the electron that is projected toward the wire doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with the question about the magnetic induction in the two frames of reference. Have you quoted the question statement exactly? Are there any additional parts of the problem that you have not given?

Are you supposed to include relativistic effects when transforming between the frames of reference?
You are supposed to ignore the relativistic effect. The information about the electron is needed to solve the task about Lorentz Force difference. Using the fact that positive charge carriers move as well:
##I'=en_-(v-v')S-en_+v'S=enS(v-2v')## because the positive charges move antiparallel to the current, and ##n_+=n_-=n##
What can I do next? I still need to find ##v##

Klaus von Faust said:
Using the fact that positive charge carriers move as well:
##I'=en_-(v-v')S-en_+v'S=enS(v-2v')## because the positive charges move antiparallel to the current, and ##n_+=n_-=n##
What can I do next? I still need to find ##v##
In your class, is the direction of current defined in terms of "electron current" or "conventional current"? http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~traylor/ece112/beamer_lectures/elect_flow_vs_conv_I.pdf

It is common these days to use "conventional current". So, if the wire is oriented along the y-axis and if the current is in the positive y-direction, the conduction electrons move in the negative y-direction. The problem states that the second reference frame moves relative to the wire in the direction of the current. So, the second frame moves in the positive y-direction relative to the first frame.

It's not easy keeping track of all of the signs. But I don't believe you are getting the correct expression for ##I'##.

TSny said:
In your class, is the direction of current defined in terms of "electron current" or "conventional current"? http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~traylor/ece112/beamer_lectures/elect_flow_vs_conv_I.pdf

It is common these days to use "conventional current". So, if the wire is oriented along the y-axis and if the current is in the positive y-direction, the conduction electrons move in the negative y-direction. The problem states that the second reference frame moves relative to the wire in the direction of the current. So, the second frame moves in the positive y-direction relative to the first frame.

It's not easy keeping track of all of the signs. But I don't believe you are getting the correct expression for ##I'##.
Ok, I found my mistake. I solved the problem and found out that the magnetic field induction vector is the same no matter the reference system. Thank you

1. What is an interesting magnetic field induction problem?

An interesting magnetic field induction problem refers to any situation in which a changing magnetic field induces an electrical current or voltage in a conductor, without direct contact between the two. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and it is the basis for many important technologies, such as electric generators and transformers.

2. How does electromagnetic induction occur?

Electromagnetic induction occurs when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field. The movement of the magnetic field creates a disturbance in the electrons within the conductor, causing them to move and generate an electrical current or voltage. This process is described by Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. What are some real-world examples of interesting magnetic field induction problems?

Some real-world examples of interesting magnetic field induction problems include electric generators, transformers, and magnetic levitation trains. In electric generators, a rotating magnet creates a changing magnetic field that induces an electrical current in a coil of wire. In transformers, a changing magnetic field in one coil induces a voltage in a nearby coil. In magnetic levitation trains, a changing magnetic field is used to levitate and propel the train along its track.

4. How is the strength of an induced current or voltage affected by the magnetic field and conductor properties?

The strength of an induced current or voltage is affected by several factors, including the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the material and length of the conductor. A stronger and faster-changing magnetic field will induce a larger current or voltage, while a longer or thicker conductor will have a greater surface area for the magnetic field to interact with, resulting in a stronger induction.

5. What are some applications of interesting magnetic field induction problems in modern technology?

Interesting magnetic field induction problems have numerous applications in modern technology. In addition to electric generators, transformers, and maglev trains, they are also used in wireless charging systems for devices like smartphones and electric vehicles. They are also essential in many medical technologies, such as MRI machines, which use electromagnetic induction to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures.