1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrophilic/Nucleophilic aromatic substitutions

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1

I thought I understood how to answer the questions (posted below, please follow the links) but apparently my reasoning is flawed.
    Any help is appreciated!

Here is how I answered this question: I looked at all the substituents, and decided whether they were conducive to an electrophilic aromatic subst. reaction. For example, NO2 is really not appropriate, while NH2 is etc. Following this, I found that -OH was a very good choice, and MeO was not bad either and so I picked this molecule. It turned out to be correct.
    I did the same for the 2nd question, but inverting the principles since it is a nucleophilic substitution. I correctly chose the last choice.

However, this reasoning did not work for this problem:
    I thought in the 1st question, the 3rd choice would be more appropriate because of the alkyl group. Why isn't this correct?
    I didn't get the 2nd question right either.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?