Electrostatic Force and Superposition Principal

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the magnitude of the electrostatic force on a charge at the origin, with a diagram and equations provided. The attempt at a solution involved using vector geometry to add the x and y components of the two forces acting on the charge, in order to find the angle theta between the electrostatic force and the positive axis. The conversation also mentioned the confusion about which angle was being asked for, and eventually arrived at the correct understanding.
shadowfox745

Homework Statement

Three charges are arranged as shown in the figure.

Figure
(Attached Below Could not insert the image, wouldn't work for me)

Find the magnitude of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin. Answer in units of nN. What is the angle theta betwen the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin and the positive axis. Answer in degrees between -180 and 180 degrees measured from the positive X-axis, with counterclockwise positive.

Homework Equations

Coulombs Constant= 8.98755X10^9 N m^2/C^2
F=k((q'q)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was I found the Electrostatic force of the center charge and that of the bottom charge using F=K((q'q)/r^2) and I found it to be -2.115x10^-9 C which comes to be -2.115nC and I used the same equation to solve for the electrostatic Force between the center charge and the charge to the right and that came out to be -7.800x10^-10 C which turns to be .78Nc. I thought the Superposition Principal said to find the electrostatic for exerted to the center is just adding both forces together which gave me -2.895nC however when I inputed it on my online hwk it says it to be incorrect. So am I missing something here? And I also have no clue how to find the angle, and my book shows no example of it so can I get some hints on it.

Attachments

• d98e48bca648.jpg
    d98e48bca648.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I forgot the most stupidest thing to use vector geometry. Though I am still trying to figure out how to find the angle. Actually I am confused as to what angle they are asking to find.

shadowfox745 said:
Nevermind I forgot the most stupidest thing to use vector geometry. Though I am still trying to figure out how to find the angle. Actually I am confused as to what angle they are asking to find.

Each of the forces on the charge at the origin are developing force vectors as you noted. When you add them together - the x component and the y component - you will have a triangle with the x and y components being the perpendicular sides. The angle that it forms with the X axis is what they want. Hence you know that Y / X is equal to tangent theta.

Oh, I understand now, got it. Thanks! I guess summer really does a number on my basic skills.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force that exists between two electrically charged objects. It is due to the attraction or repulsion between the charges and is one of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the superposition principle?

The superposition principle states that the total electric force on a charged object is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by each charged object in its vicinity.

4. How does the superposition principle apply to electrostatic force?

In the context of electrostatic force, the superposition principle means that the net force on a charged object is the sum of the forces exerted by all other nearby charged objects, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force.

5. What is the significance of the superposition principle in understanding electrostatic force?

The superposition principle is crucial in understanding electrostatic force because it allows us to calculate the net force on a charged object in a system with multiple charged objects. It also helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they are affected by the presence of different charges.