Electrostatic force betwen two ions

In summary, the task is to find the electrostatic force between a Na+ ion and a Cl- ion separated by 0.5 nm, using Coulomb's Law. The same calculation can also be done for a Li+ ion and a Br- ion. The fundamental electric charge is used in the calculation, and the value for q1 is +1e and q2 is -1e. The distance between the ions is r = 0.5 nm.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

A. Find the electrostatic force between a Na+ ion and a Cl- ion separated by 0.5 nm.
B. Would the answer change if the sodium ion were replaced by Li+ and the CL ion by Br-?Explain.

Homework Equations

I believe you have to use Coulomb's Law...?
F=k* [(/q1//q2/) divided by (r^2^)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have several of these to do and I'm not really sure where to even begin. If someone could show me step by step how to do this, I would be really greatful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use coulomb's law. Plug in q1 and q2 and r and you're done!

q1=+1e and q2=-1e where e is the fundamental electric charge (you can just look up the conversion to coulombs). r=.5nm.

Thank you!

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a type of force that exists between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the attraction or repulsion of particles with opposite or like charges, respectively.

How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is an ion?

An ion is an atom or molecule that has a net electrical charge due to the loss or gain of one or more electrons. Positively charged ions are called cations, while negatively charged ions are called anions.

How does the distance between two ions affect the electrostatic force between them?

The electrostatic force between two ions decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the ions.

What factors influence the strength of electrostatic force between two ions?

The strength of electrostatic force between two ions is influenced by the magnitude of the charges on the ions, the distance between them, and the medium in which they are located. It is also affected by the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity.