1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Potential Energy stored outside a shell.

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point charge +Q is placed at the centre of an isolated conducting shell of radius R. Find the electrostatic potential energy stored outside the spherical shell if the shell also contains a charge +Q distributed uniformly over it.

2. Relevant equations

E=kQ/r2.

dU/dV=(1/2)εoE2, where V is volume, U is potential energy.

3. The attempt at a solution

The charge +Q inside the conductor will induce -Q charge on the inside surface, which further leads to +2Q charge on the outer surface of the shell. Therefore E=2kQ/r2.

My question is, why have we used the formula dU/dV=(1/2)εoE2. How did we derive it? Isn't it equal to the energy of a charged capacitor.

Sorry if this a bad question, I just want to know how did we derive this formula.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the same reason that we use mass density ρ to find the mass of an extended object by integration.
    That you can find in any intermediate-level book on Electricity and Magnetism.
    No, it is not. It is an energy density, i.e. energy per unit volume (Joules/m3 in SI units). To do this problem you need to use Gauss's law to find the electric field outside the shell, find the energy density and integrate that over all space outside the shell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted