1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic potential of two spheres

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical conducting spheres, with a radius of 15.0 cm, are separated by a distance of 10 m. What is the charge in each sphere, if the potential of one sphere is +1500 V, and the potential of the other one is -1500 V? Which assumptions did you make?

2. Relevant equations
    Potential at the surface of a conductor with charge q and radius R:
    [tex]V = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0R}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If there was only one sphere at a potential of 1500 V, its charge would be:
    [tex]q = 4\pi\epsilon_0RV = 4\pi(8.85\times 10^{-12})(0.15)(1500)=2.5\times 10^{-8} C[/tex]
    But I don't know how to account for the fact that there are two spheres. Also, to what exactly is it referring by saying that each sphere is at a particular potential? Is it the potential due to the whole system?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

EWH

Capacitance = Charge / Voltage
    (The charge is for each sphere or plate, not both together)
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance
    and look at the table entry: "Two spheres,equal radius"

"Also, to what exactly is it referring by saying that each sphere is at a particular potential? Is it the potential due to the whole system?"
    The voltages are relative to an arbitrary measurement point, say the earth, or a point equidistant between the spheres. In this case, the net charge is 0, one sphere has a deficit of charge and the other a surplus.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. Aug 1, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the answer.
    But I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve capacitance, since I found this question in a chapter that comes before the chapter on capacitance.
    I found the following solution on the Internet: it assumes first that there is only one sphere at a potential of 1500 V, and calculates its charge as:
    q = 2.5 × 10−8 C
    like I did in the original topic.
    Then it calculates the potential of this sphere at a distance of 10 meters:
    [tex]V = (1500)\frac{0.15}{10} = 22.5 V[/tex]
    Then it says that it is small compared to 1500 V, so we can treat it as a perturbation, so that we can assume both spheres have a charge of:
    [tex]q = 4\pi\epsilon_0 RV = 4\pi\epsilon_0 R(1500 + 22.5) = 2.54 \times 10^{-8}C[/tex]
    But I don't understand this final part. Why is it summing (1500 + 22.5)? Shouldn't it be (1500 - 22.5), since both spheres have opposite potentials?

Thank you in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook