Electrostatics, Even Distrobution on wire dumb question

In summary, the equation calculates the force exerted by a charge on a wire, given its distance from the charge, and the cosine of the angle between the wire and the charge.
mrtubby

Homework Statement

There is a charged wire aligned/centered along the Y 2L in length. A test charge is placed D distance from the wire on the X axis. The wire has a total charge of Q. calculate the integral to figure out how much force the test charge experiences.

svnziu.jpg

a semi decent pic of the layout

Homework Equations

Columbs law + some calc

The Attempt at a Solution

My question isn't about getting the answer, I have it (too bad I didn't have the problem right when I looked at it), but I don't understand some of it and am hoping for some clarification.

[tex]F_x = \int_{-L}^{L} \frac{kQq}{2Lr^2}cos(\theta)dy[/tex]

This is all well and good, the integral is over the length of the wire, the rest of it is basically Columbs law with Q/2L * dy as the charge density * tiny section of wire for integration. It took me a while (and this is the part i am hung up on) but the cos theta is in there because we need to deal with the fact that all the little tiny chunks of wire are each at a different angle to the test particle so different ratios of force are felt in the X and Y directions.

now for what I don't understand when this integral is worked you get this
[tex]F_x = \frac{kQq}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac{D}{\sqrt{D^2 + y^2}^{3/2}}dy[/tex]

Inside the integral the denomanator is obviously pythagorians theorum to find the distance between wire chunk and particle. How does [itex]cos{\theta}[/itex] convert to just plain D (the distance between the wire and particle at the x axis)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mrtubby, welcome to PF!:smile:

mrtubby said:
now for what I don't understand when this integral is worked you get this
[tex]F_x = \frac{kQq}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac{D}{\sqrt{D^2 + y^2}^{3/2}}dy[/tex]

Inside the integral the denomanator is obviously pythagorians theorum to find the distance between wire chunk and particle. How does [itex]cos{\theta}[/itex] convert to just plain D (the distance between the wire and particle at the x axis)?

It doesn't!:wink:

Remember your unit circle...[itex]\cos\theta[/itex] equals adjacent/hypoteneuse. And take note of the fact that the denominator in your integrand is actually [tex](D^2+y^2)^{3/2}[/itex] and Pythagoras Law tells you [itex]r^2=D^2+y^2[/itex].

Fantastic, I had come up with some kind of flawed reasoning as to why i was looking at [itex](D^2+y^2)^{3/2} [/itex] that basically boils down to some weak algebra skills. Now the math makes sense and I can continue on with my day.

Thanks Bunches!

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and their interactions.

2. What is the even distribution on a wire?

The even distribution on a wire refers to the equal distribution of electric charge along the length of a wire, resulting in a constant electric potential.

3. How is the even distribution on a wire achieved?

The even distribution on a wire is achieved by ensuring that the wire is made of a conductive material, such as copper, and that it is connected to a power source, allowing for the flow of electrons.

4. Why is it important to have an even distribution on a wire?

An even distribution on a wire is important because it ensures a consistent flow of electricity and prevents any potential damage or malfunction due to uneven distribution of charges.

5. Can the even distribution on a wire be disrupted?

Yes, the even distribution on a wire can be disrupted if the wire is damaged or if there is a break in the circuit, causing a disruption in the flow of electrons and resulting in an uneven distribution of charges.