1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics, Even Distrobution on wire dumb question

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a charged wire aligned/centered along the Y 2L in length. A test charge is placed D distance from the wire on the X axis. The wire has a total charge of Q. calculate the integral to figure out how much force the test charge experiences.

svnziu.jpg
    a semi decent pic of the layout

2. Relevant equations
    Columbs law + some calc

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question isn't about getting the answer, I have it (too bad I didn't have the problem right when I looked at it), but I don't understand some of it and am hoping for some clarification.

[tex]F_x = \int_{-L}^{L} \frac{kQq}{2Lr^2}cos(\theta)dy[/tex]

This is all well and good, the integral is over the length of the wire, the rest of it is basically Columbs law with Q/2L * dy as the charge density * tiny section of wire for integration. It took me a while (and this is the part i am hung up on) but the cos theta is in there because we need to deal with the fact that all the little tiny chunks of wire are each at a different angle to the test particle so different ratios of force are felt in the X and Y directions.

now for what I don't understand when this integral is worked you get this
    [tex]F_x = \frac{kQq}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac{D}{\sqrt{D^2 + y^2}^{3/2}}dy[/tex]

Inside the integral the denomanator is obviously pythagorians theorum to find the distance between wire chunk and particle. How does [itex]cos{\theta}[/itex] convert to just plain D (the distance between the wire and particle at the x axis)?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi mrtubby, welcome to PF!:smile:

It doesn't!:wink:

Remember your unit circle...[itex]\cos\theta[/itex] equals adjacent/hypoteneuse. And take note of the fact that the denominator in your integrand is actually [tex](D^2+y^2)^{3/2}[/itex] and Pythagoras Law tells you [itex]r^2=D^2+y^2[/itex].

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Fantastic, I had come up with some kind of flawed reasoning as to why i was looking at [itex](D^2+y^2)^{3/2} [/itex] that basically boils down to some weak algebra skills. Now the math makes sense and I can continue on with my day.

Thanks Bunches!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook