Electrostatics - find the work done

In summary: This means that you need to flip the sign, giving a positive answer.In summary, the conversation discusses the division of a charge 'Q' into two parts, q and Q-q, and the relationship between them for maximum Coulombic repulsion. The work done in reducing the distance between the two parts to half its value is also discussed, with the idea of potential energy and work being brought up. The work done on the system is found to be the negative of the difference between the initial and final potential energies.
exuberant.me
A certain charge 'Q' is to be divided into two parts, q and Q-q. What is the relationship of 'Q' to 'q' if the two parts, placed at a given distance 'r' apart, are to have maximum Coulombic repulsion? What is the work done in reducing the distance between them to half its value?

It went easy for the first part
as f(q) = k(q)(Q-q)/r2
and, f'(q) = 0 gives q = Q/2 which provides max repulsion (as f''(q) < 0)

But it is getting a bit "confusing" to calculate the work done for the second part..

someone please provide the idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between potential energy and work?

God.. i m kind of "fool"...
i actually got the answer.. but in the book its given in the form of 'Q' and i got it in terms of 'q'
but could not check the difference that time... got it thanks...

one more thing at last
W = -(U2 - U1) = U1 - U2
So in this question
applying W = (U1 - U2) gives me a negative answer
but in the book its +ve
what of that? :P

exuberant.me said:
W = -(U2 - U1) = U1 - U2
That would be the work done by the system in going from U1 to U2. You want the work done on the system.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and their interactions with each other.

2. How is work done calculated in electrostatics?

The work done in electrostatics is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the distance that the charge is moved in the direction of the field.

3. What is the unit of work done in electrostatics?

The unit of work done in electrostatics is joules (J).

4. How does the work done in electrostatics affect the electric potential energy?

The work done in electrostatics is directly related to the change in electric potential energy. If work is done to move a charge against an electric field, the electric potential energy increases. If work is done by the electric field to move a charge, the electric potential energy decreases.

5. What is the significance of finding the work done in electrostatics?

Finding the work done in electrostatics helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with each other. It is also useful in calculating the electric potential energy and determining the direction and magnitude of the electric field.