Work, energy, power unit (coulombs)

In summary, for two particles with charges of 0.021 Coulombs and -0.051 Coulombs at a separation of 0.035 m, the electrostatic force on the negative charge is attractive and can be calculated using Coulomb's Law. When the separation decreases to 0.018 m, the work done by the positive charge on the negative charge can be calculated by multiplying the force with the distance. However, this approach may not be accurate as the force increases during the process and a different method, such as using conservation of energy, may be needed.
ferrariistheking

Homework Statement

For a positively-charged particle at the origin, and a negatively-charged particle lying to its right on the positive x-axis, the electrostatic force on the negative charge is attractive, and Coulomb's Law gives the magnitude of that force:

F = k |Q1| |Q2| / x^2

k is Coulomb's constant. It has a value of 8.99 x 109 N-m2 / C2.

The positively-charged particle has a charge of Q1 = 0.021 Coulombs.

The negatively-charged particle has a charge of Q1 = -0.051 Coulombs.

How much work does the positive charge do on the negative charge as their separation decreases from 0.035 m to 0.018 m?

Homework Equations

F = k |Q1| |Q2| / x2
work = Force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in k and then the two charges. I then did 0.035m -0.018m and got 2.89e-4. The result was F and I then multiplied F with the distance, 2.89e-4.

Does somebody know what I did wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
ferrariistheking said:
I then did 0.035m -0.018m
What does that mean?
ferrariistheking said:
and got 2.89e-4
What is that, and what is its unit?

You can calculate the force both for the larger initial separation and the smaller final separation, but if you move the charge the force will increase in the process. You'll need an integral, or an approach via a useful conservation law.

Likes Abhishek kumar
Apply conservation of energy for two charge system.change in potential energy is equal to work done.

1. What is work in the context of coulombs?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied over a distance. In the context of coulombs, work is done when a charged particle moves in an electric field.

2. How is work related to energy in coulombs?

Work and energy are directly related in coulombs. The work done on a charged particle is equal to the change in its electric potential energy.

3. What is the unit of work in coulombs?

The unit of work in coulombs is joules (J). This is the same unit used for all forms of energy.

4. How is power defined in coulombs?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. In coulombs, power is measured in watts (W), which is equal to one joule of work per second.

5. Can power be negative in coulombs?

Yes, power can be negative in coulombs. This occurs when work is being done on a charged particle, causing its energy to decrease. It is important to note that negative power does not necessarily mean a decrease in the magnitude of the electric charge, but rather a decrease in its potential energy.