Electrostatics in Graduate Level EE Degree?

In summary, the person is a senior undergraduate studying Applied Physics and plans to pursue a Master's degree in Electric Power Engineering. They are unsure about the relevance of their Physics knowledge for upper level EE courses and are seeking recommendations for courses to take before starting their degree. They have also considered talking to the Head of Department at their chosen graduate school, but are looking for a more general response from someone with experience in EE and Physics. The person is located in the US while the program is in Europe, and they are questioning the need for courses like Laplacian Equations in an engineering career. Some of the courses in the program include Electric Motor Drives, Power Markets, Electric Power System Stability, High Voltage Equipment, Energy Planning, and Maritime
Fjolvar
Hello,

I am a senior undergraduate majoring in Applied Physics and I plan on starting graduate school for a Master's degree in Electric Power Engineering next year. My question is, how relevant will my Physics knowledge be? So far I've taken an Electronics course where I learned a great deal about circuits and I'm currently taking Electrodynamics which is divided up into two courses. We use Griffith's book, but I'm wondering if I'll need to know all of the techniques such as vector calculus, laplacian equations, boundary conditions, etc.. for upper level EE. I also plan on taking an EE course in three phase systems before I graduate. If anyone can recommend any other important courses that will help before I start my EE degree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Why don't you go to the graduate school and have a talk with the Head of Department for your area of interest?

vk6kro said:
Why don't you go to the graduate school and have a talk with the Head of Department for your area of interest?

I'm in the U.S. and the program is in Europe. I'm trying to get a general response from someone who went through an EE grad program with some knowledge of Physics. The head of the program said I would need to follow closely the courses in Electrostatics, however I can't see any use of Laplacian Equations as an Engineer, especially in high power electrical.

Here are some of the courses in the program: Electrical Motor Drives, Power Markets, Electric Power System Stability, High Voltage Equipment, Energy Planning, Maritime and Offshore Power Systems.

Last edited:

Related to Electrostatics in Graduate Level EE Degree?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. How is electrostatics used in electrical engineering?

Electrostatics is used in electrical engineering to understand and analyze the behavior of electric charges and fields. It helps in the design and operation of various electrical devices such as capacitors, generators, and transformers.

3. What are some key concepts in electrostatics that are important for a graduate level EE degree?

Some key concepts in electrostatics that are important for a graduate level EE degree include Coulomb's law, electric fields, electric potential, capacitance, and Gauss's law.

4. How does electrostatics relate to other areas of physics and engineering?

Electrostatics is closely related to other areas of physics such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in various engineering fields such as circuit design, power systems, and electronics.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics?

Some real-world applications of electrostatics include electrostatic precipitators used to remove pollutants from industrial exhaust, electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection in electronic devices, and electrostatic painting in the automotive industry.