Looking for electronics/engineering magazine suggestions

• Thread starter tensor0910
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of magazines for learning about electronics and engineering. However, it was suggested that YouTube may be a better resource for beginners, with a recommendation to search for specific topics of interest. The conversation also warned against being distracted by "cool" topics and provided a list of websites that may offer free student subscriptions.
tensor0910
Gold Member
Hope this is in the right thread:

Im starting my upper level electives for my EE degree sometime next year. I am thinking a few electronics/engineering magazines would be a good start for me to figure out what exactly I'm interested in. That being said, what magazines do you guys/girls like to read?

Engineering news on Phys.org
tensor0910 said:
Hope this is in the right thread:

Im starting my upper level electives for my EE degree sometime next year. I am thinking a few electronics/engineering magazines would be a good start for me to figure out what exactly I'm interested in. That being said, what magazines do you guys/girls like to read?
Magazines tend to be available in one or a few countries and they get good sometimes and not so good at others. A bit too patchy and expensive for learning from them.

For a beginner, you might be better off having a look at YouTube. Look for experienced teachers with good quality productions.

Do a search on something that interests you. Maybe "circuit theory" or "Kirchoff's Laws" would be a good start.

Beware of looking for the"cool" stuff like robots and microcomputers. These can distract you from getting a good grasp of the fundamentals. They are great fun, though.

YouTube is available free at youtube.com or on all tablets and phones.

see if these outfits give away student subscriptions
http://www.edn.com/
http://www.pennwell.com/publications.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Looking for electronics/engineering magazine suggestions

1. What are some popular electronics and engineering magazines?

Some popular magazines in the field of electronics and engineering include IEEE Spectrum, Popular Mechanics, Make Magazine, and Wired.

2. Are there any magazines specific to a certain engineering field?

Yes, there are many magazines that focus on specific engineering fields such as Mechanical Engineering Magazine, Civil Engineering Magazine, and Chemical Engineering Magazine.

3. Can you recommend any magazines for beginners in electronics and engineering?

For beginners, some good options include Electronics for You, Nuts and Volts, and Circuit Cellar. These magazines provide introductory information and practical projects for beginners to learn and practice their skills.

4. Are there any free online magazines for electronics and engineering?

Yes, there are several online magazines that are available for free, such as EE Times, All About Circuits, and EDN. These magazines offer a wide range of articles, news, and resources for electronics and engineering enthusiasts.

5. Can I access past issues of these magazines?

Many magazines have archives of their past issues available online for subscribers. Some magazines also have digital versions of their issues that can be purchased. Additionally, libraries and universities often have access to online databases where you can find and access past issues of various magazines.