Electrostatics Line Charge question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L that carries a uniform line charge λ. The conversation also mentions a complicated formula due to lack of font notation and the professor's explanation that λ is a constant that can be pulled out of the integral. However, it is important to note that the magnitude of the vector inside the integral should not be 1, as indicated by the hat over the u, and should be carefully considered when solving the integral.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Find the Electric field a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L that carries a uniform line charge λ

Homework Equations

Complicated formula due to lack of font for the notation used by the author of the book. so I wrote it out. I did my best to differentiate between the script r and pi.

just in case I did a terrible job, only the first "r" is pi, the rest are script r's

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor says during the lecture while doing this problem that the λ is not dependent on r so is a constant and can be pulled out of the integral, but then it also just disappears from the problem completely.

Why?

dAlJSvp.jpg

BTkRP2B.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working is hard to read. It would be better if you typed the equations. You can use LaTeX.
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
grandpa2390 said:
but then it also just disappears from the problem completely.
It shouldn't.
You need to first find the horizontal and vertical components of the field separately.

grandpa2390 said:
but then it also just disappears from the problem completely.
Did your professor say that, or is it something you observe? It is still there in your final equation.

Inside your integral there is a vector and it's magnitude is not 1 (as one can see in the drawing) so this magnitude will be there multiplying the argument and that is not right. You should be carefull when solving the integral.

Sorry i didn't see the hat over the u. That indicates that it is a unity vector.

nvm
I got it.

Last edited:
sry

What is electrostatics line charge?

Electrostatics line charge refers to a hypothetical distribution of electric charge along a one-dimensional line. It is used to model the behavior of electric charges in certain situations, such as a charged wire or a charged cylinder.

How is electrostatics line charge different from point charge?

Unlike point charges, which have a single, concentrated point of charge, electrostatics line charges have a length and therefore a finite amount of charge distributed along that length. This can have an impact on the electric field and potential created by the charge distribution.

What is the mathematical equation for the electric field of a line charge?

The electric field for a line charge can be calculated using the equation E = (λ / 2πε0r), where λ is the charge per unit length, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line charge.

How does the electric field of a line charge vary with distance?

The electric field of a line charge follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance from the line charge increases, the electric field decreases. This is represented by the 1/r term in the equation E = (λ / 2πε0r).

Can electrostatics line charge be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, electrostatics line charge can be used to approximate the behavior of real-world situations involving electric charges distributed along a one-dimensional line. However, it is important to note that this is a simplified model and may not accurately represent all aspects of the situation.