1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of charge orbiting infinite line of negative charg

1. Sep 7, 2016 #1
    Sorry I couldn't finish the title. I ran out of space. Anyway, here's the question:

A uniformly charged, infinitely long line of negative charge has a linear charge density of -λ and is located on the z axis. A small positively charged particle that has a mass m and a charge q is in circular orbit of radius R in the xy plane centered on the line of charge. (Use the following as necessary: k, q, m, R, and λ.)

(a) Derive an expression for the speed of the particle.

(b) Obtain an expression for the period of the particle's orbit.

Relevant Equations:

E = λ/(2πrε0) for an infinite line of charge. In the case of this problem I used -λ instead of just λ.

F = Eq = mv2/r

T = (2π)/ω = (2π)/(v/r) = (2πr)/v

I tried using the first equation I listed above in order to derive E. This led to:

E = -λ/(2πRε0)
    F = Eq = mv2/R , so this leads to:

F = -λq/(2πRε0) = mv2/R

solving algebraically for v yields:

v = sqrt(-λq/(2πmε0)) = sqrt(-λkq / (2m) )

Here I thought I had derived v, but webassign said that this was wrong. I tried taking out the negative sign since having an imaginary velocity makes no sense, but it was still wrong. I can't do (b) until I solve (a). Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

you expression for centripetal acceleratio should have a minus sign, since it points inwards.
    remember: vectors.

note: $$\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_0} = 2k$$

4. Sep 7, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I solved it now.

5. Sep 8, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted