Gauss's Law and Parallel Line Charges

In summary: The total field is the sum of the fields from each charge. You just have to be careful with the signs.In summary, the method for finding the net electric field at a point above and between two infinite line charges is to use the equation for Gauss's law on an infinite line charge for each individual charge, and then add the two field vectors together. The resulting net electric field will have a doubled x-component and a canceled y-component. This method is known as superposition and takes into account the fields from each individual charge.
goober

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the net electric field at a point, above and between, two infinite line charges, one with line charge density λ and the second with line charge density -λ. The point is a distance R from both line charges, a distance y above the midpoint between charges, and the distance between charges is 2x. For reference, if the lines are viewed as parallel to the z-axis in an xy-plane, the line charges and the point would form a triangle with base 2x and height y.

Homework Equations

##\vec E## = (λ / 2π∈0r)##\hat r## (line charge field from Gauss's Law)
##\hat r## = ##\vec r## / r
R = (x2 + y2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec E##1 = (λ / 2π∈0R) [ (x##\hat i## + y##\hat j##) / R ]
##\vec E##2 = (-λ / 2π∈0R) [ (-x##\hat i## + y##\hat j##) / R ]
##\vec E##net = ##\vec E##1 + ##\vec E##2 = 2xλ / 2π∈0R2##\hat i## = (xλ / π∈0R2)##\hat i##

I found the electric field for each line charge individually using the equation given in the textbook for Gauss's law on an infinite line charge. I then added the two field vectors and found a final result where the y-components canceled and the x-components doubled. I just need to know if this is the correct method for solving the problem, because I was led to believe it would be more complex.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi goober and welcome to PF.

goober said:
I just need to know if this is the correct method for solving the problem, because I was led to believe it would be more complex.
That's it. It's known as superposition.

1. What is Gauss's Law and how is it related to parallel line charges?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge. When applied to parallel line charges, it states that the electric field between two parallel lines is proportional to the linear charge density and inversely proportional to the distance between the lines.

2. How does the direction of the electric field change for parallel line charges?

The direction of the electric field for parallel line charges is always perpendicular to the lines and points towards the line with the opposite charge. This results in a uniform electric field between the lines, with no field lines outside of the lines.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used to determine the electric field for non-uniformly charged parallel lines?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to determine the electric field for non-uniformly charged parallel lines by choosing a Gaussian surface that encloses a portion of the lines. The electric field can then be calculated using the enclosed charge and the surface area.

4. What is the relationship between the electric potential and electric field for parallel line charges?

The electric potential for parallel line charges is directly proportional to the electric field and the distance between the lines. This means that as the distance between the lines increases, the electric potential also increases, resulting in a decrease in the electric field strength.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to a system of more than two parallel line charges?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to a system of more than two parallel line charges by using superposition. This means that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the electric fields due to each individual line charge. The direction and magnitude of each field can be determined using the principles of Gauss's Law.