Force between two lines of charge?

In summary: Good job!In summary, the problem involves two long parallel lines of charge separated by a distance of 3/10 meters, with each line having a charge per unit length of 5.2 x 10^-6 C/m. The question asks for the magnitude of force exerted by one line on a section 1/20 meters away from the other line. Using Gauss' Law and the concept of electric field, the force can be calculated by finding the electric field at the position of the charge and multiplying it by the charge. The final formula for force is F = (2/4πε0) x (λ^2) x y / x, where λ is the charge per unit length and y is the distance
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Two very long uniform lines of charge are parallel and are separated by ##x=\frac{3}{10}m##. Each line of charge has charge per unit length ##\lambda = 5.2_{10^{-6}}\frac{C}{m}##. What magnitude of force does one line of charge exert on a ##y=\frac{1}{20} m## section of the other line of charge?"

Homework Equations

##\int E⋅dA=\frac{q_{enc}}{ε_0}##
O09mAPN.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, the only use I make out of Gauss' law is that the only electric field that has any effect on the ##\frac{1}{20}m## segment of charge is directly aligned with it. I don't think any other parts of the line interfere with the electric field of this segment. Anyway, this is what I did:

##q_{enc}=\lambda y##
##\int E⋅dA=\frac{q_{enc}}{ε_0}=\frac{\lambda y}{ε_0}##
##E⋅(2\pi ry)=\frac{\lambda y}{ε_0}##

And I don't feel I'd be right in trying to continue because I still have an arbitrary r that I don't think I will be able to eliminate through algebra. I'm so confused. Can anyone tell me if I should flip my Gaussian surface ninety degrees, or perhaps use some other one? I'm leaning on the former. But I'm just trying to figure out how to get the force on one segment of the line to the segment directly across from it, using flux and electric field. I'm so confused. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is ##r## arbitrary? What you are doing is computing the field a distance ##r## from the line charge. At what distance is your field relevant for the problem?

I'm guessing ##\frac{1}{2}x##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm guessing the halfway point?
The electric field at the half-way point is going to determine the force on the other conductor?

How is the force on a charge related to the electric field?

An electric field is basically the force per charge, I think.

So ##r=x##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
An electric field is basically the force per charge, I think.

So ##r=x##?
Yea, the electric field at the position of the charge. In your case, this is the electric field of the other conductor at the position of the conductor you are computing the force on.

Oh, so the electric field at the other conductor is: ##E=\frac{2}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{\lambda}{r})##?

So how would I translate that to force?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Oh, so the electric field at the other conductor is: ##E=\frac{2}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{\lambda}{r})##?

So how would I translate that to force?
You tell me. What is the charge in the region you are interested in?

The charge is... ##q=\lambda y##?

So... ##E=\frac{2}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\frac{\lambda}{x}=\frac{F}{\lambda y}## or ##F=\frac{2}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{\lambda ^2 y}{x}##. Got it. Thanks.

Right, actually the height of the Gaussian cylinder you chose to compute the field is irrelevant (as came out from your formula). The only place where y enters is in the computation of the charge the field is acting on.

1) What is the force between two lines of charge?

The force between two lines of charge is the electrostatic force, also known as Coulomb's law. It describes the force exerted between two stationary charged objects, in this case the two lines of charge. The force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2) How do you calculate the force between two lines of charge?

To calculate the force between two lines of charge, you can use the equation F = (k * Q1 * Q2) / d^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the two lines, and d is the distance between them. Alternatively, you can also use vector addition to calculate the force if the lines of charge are not parallel.

3) What is the direction of the force between two lines of charge?

The direction of the force between two lines of charge depends on the relative orientation of the lines. If the lines are parallel, the force will be attractive or repulsive depending on the signs of the charges. If the lines are not parallel, the force will be along the line connecting the two lines of charge, and its direction can be determined using vector addition.

4) How does the distance between the lines of charge affect the force?

The force between two lines of charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the lines increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

5) Can the force between two lines of charge be negative?

Yes, the force between two lines of charge can be negative. This would occur if the two lines have opposite charges and are parallel to each other. In this case, the force would be attractive and have a negative sign. However, if the lines are not parallel, the force could have a negative component due to vector addition, but the overall force would still be positive.