Electrostatics Multiple Choice Questions

In summary, for question #1, the voltage across the resistor is equal to the EMF of the battery, as the EMF is directly related to the voltage of electrical energy. For question #2, the electric field has the greatest magnitude at the point closest to the source, which is C as it is closest to the smallest equipotential line. And for question #3, the electric field is equal to zero at points B and E, as there are no field lines going through these points.
bap902
I bolded the answer I think is correct - I'm just a little unsure on these, any help would be appreciated!

1. A capacitor and resistor are connected in a series with a batter and a switch. The instant after the switch is closed

A. the voltage across the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery
B. the voltage across the capacitor is equal to the emf of the battery
C. the voltage across the resistor is equal to zero
D. the current is equal to zero
E. both A and B are correct

2. The figure below shows a set of equipotential lines. The electric field has the greatest magnitude at point

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/623/diagram1ks6.png

A. A
B. B
C. C
D. D
E. E

3. Four charges are arranged on the corners of a square as shown below:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1994/diagram2zb7.png

At which point (or points) is the electric field equal to zero?

A. B and E
B. D and A
C. A and C
D. A and B
E. E only

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please can you explain your reasoning as to how you came to your answers?

For question #1, I chose that the voltage across the resistor is equal to the EMF of the battery because the EMF of the battery directly relates to the voltage of electrical energy. It is the voltage that is connected with the behavior of the resistance and the capacitor.

For #2, I read online that the electric field has the greatest magnitude at the point closest to the source. The magnitude decreases as the distance from a location to the source increases. I chose C, because it is closest to the smallest equipotential line, which I figured was the initial source.

I chose D and A for question #3 because if the charges are of equal magnitude, then the field is zero halfway between them.

bap902 said:
For question #1, I chose that the voltage across the resistor is equal to the EMF of the battery because the EMF of the battery directly relates to the voltage of electrical energy. It is the voltage that is connected with the behavior of the resistance and the capacitor.

Correct, although as the capacitor charges the voltage across the resistor will decrese.
bap902 said:
For #2, I read online that the electric field has the greatest magnitude at the point closest to the source. The magnitude decreases as the distance from a location to the source increases. I chose C, because it is closest to the smallest equipotential line, which I figured was the initial source.

I think this is right.
bap902 said:
I chose D and A for question #3 because if the charges are of equal magnitude, then the field is zero halfway between them.

This is definitely wrong. If you placed a charge at either of these points it would certianly move. See the below sight, set up your charges and look at the field lines. You want a region with no filed lines going through it.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~phys1/java/phys1/EField/EField.html

Thanks! I couldn't get the site to work on my internet for some reason (nothing would load) so any additional help on #3 would be appreciated.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest.

What are the two types of electric charges?

The two types of electric charges are positive and negative.

What is the law of conservation of charge?

The law of conservation of charge states that electric charge cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one object to another.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space surrounding an electrically charged object where another charged object experiences a force.

What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V).