1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics Multiple Choice Questions

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    I bolded the answer I think is correct - I'm just a little unsure on these, any help would be appreciated!

1. A capacitor and resistor are connected in a series with a batter and a switch. The instant after the switch is closed

A. the voltage across the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery
    B. the voltage across the capacitor is equal to the emf of the battery
    C. the voltage across the resistor is equal to zero
    D. the current is equal to zero
    E. both A and B are correct

2. The figure below shows a set of equipotential lines. The electric field has the greatest magnitude at point

A. A
    B. B
    C. C
    D. D
    E. E

3. Four charges are arranged on the corners of a square as shown below:

At which point (or points) is the electric field equal to zero?

A. B and E
    B. D and A
    C. A and C
    D. A and B
    E. E only
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    Please can you explain your reasoning as to how you came to your answers?
  4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    For question #1, I chose that the voltage across the resistor is equal to the EMF of the battery because the EMF of the battery directly relates to the voltage of electrical energy. It is the voltage that is connected with the behavior of the resistance and the capacitor.

For #2, I read online that the electric field has the greatest magnitude at the point closest to the source. The magnitude decreases as the distance from a location to the source increases. I chose C, because it is closest to the smallest equipotential line, which I figured was the initial source.

I chose D and A for question #3 because if the charges are of equal magnitude, then the field is zero halfway between them.
  5. Nov 29, 2008 #4
    Correct, although as the capacitor charges the voltage across the resistor will decrese.
    I think this is right.
    This is definitely wrong. If you placed a charge at either of these points it would certianly move. See the below sight, set up your charges and look at the field lines. You want a region with no filed lines going through it.

6. Nov 30, 2008 #5
    Thanks! I couldn't get the site to work on my internet for some reason (nothing would load) so any additional help on #3 would be appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?