Elementary Analysis, Triangle Inequality Help

In summary, the problem requires proving the inequality ||a|-|b||\leq |a-b| for all real numbers a and b. This can be done by considering four possible cases and proving the inequality for each one. The triangle inequality is not necessary to solve this problem.
Gooolati

Homework Statement

Prove that ||a|-|b||[tex]\leq[/tex] |a-b| for all a,b in the reals

Homework Equations

I know we have to use the triangle inequality, which states:
|a+b|[tex]\leq[/tex] |a|+|b|.

Also, we proved in another problem that |b|[tex]\leq[/tex] a iff -a[tex]\leq[/tex]b[tex]\leq[/tex]a

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the other problem we solved, we can say -|a-b| [tex]\leq[/tex] ||a|-|b||[tex]\leq[/tex] |a-b|

then I said...
|b|=|(b-a)+a|
then I use the Triangle Inequality"
|(b-a)+a|[tex]\leq[/tex] |b-a| + |a|

|b-a| + |a| [tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex] |a-b| + |a|

and someone said this proved the first side of the inequality, but I have no idea why.

All help is appreciated ! Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be hard to use the triangle inequality, because whenever you use a minus sign, the expression will always have to be in parentheses. In other words, I don't think the triangle inequality will help you go from, say, |a-b| to something where there's a minus sign outside parentheses. I was able to solve the problem by proving the inequality for each possible case, namely
Case 1: a and b are positive
Case 2: a and b are negative, a>b
Case 3: a and b are negative, a<b
Case 4: a is positive and b is negative. (You don't need to have case 5 where b is positive and a is negative, since both cases turn out to be the same.)
The triangle inequality was not necessary when I did the problem.

1. What is elementary analysis?

Elementary analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers, sequences, and limits. It is the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus.

2. What is the triangle inequality?

The triangle inequality states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side. It is a fundamental property of triangles and is used to prove many theorems in geometry.

3. How is the triangle inequality used in elementary analysis?

In elementary analysis, the triangle inequality is used to prove various results, such as the convergence of series and the continuity of functions. It is also used to establish important properties of real numbers, such as the existence of absolute values and the ordering of numbers.

4. Can you give an example of the triangle inequality in action?

One example of the triangle inequality is in the proof of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that for any two vectors a and b in n-dimensional space, the dot product of a and b is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This can be proven using the triangle inequality and the fact that the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of elementary analysis and the triangle inequality?

To improve your understanding of elementary analysis and the triangle inequality, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs related to these concepts. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice quizzes, to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending study groups can also be beneficial in improving your understanding.