Elementary question on Moller Scattering Feynman diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Feynman diagrams and the behavior of two electrons at rest near each other. The individual has a question about how the phenomenon of two electrons repelling each other is represented in a Feynman diagram. The response suggests treating the system as bound states and calculating corrections to the "classical" problem. It also mentions that it is not possible to find a frame where both electrons are at rest and that Feynman diagrams are used to calculate amplitude.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

I think this will be a very quick thread. I am new to using Feynman diagrams, and have run into something that I find puzzling. The lowest-order Coulomb interaction Feynman diagram is (image from Wikipedia Moller Scattering article):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/MollerScattering-t.svg

Let's say that we are in a frame where both electrons are initially at rest. Then, it seems to me that because energy and momentum must be conserved between the beginning and end of the diagram, the two electrons must remain at rest after the interaction shown in the diagram above. So, effectively, two electons at rest near each other exchange a photon, and then nothing else happens.

But obviously, two electrons near each other will repel each other, so my question is: how does the phenomenon of two electrons at rest eventually repelling each other actually get represented via a Feynman diagram (or, alternatively, what naive mistake in my interpretation am I making)?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Scattering descriptions don't work properly for particles at rest. The assumption that the initial and final states are without interactions fails. You can treat the system similar to bound states, see this thread for example. Solve the "classical" problem first and then calculate corrections to that.

Let's say that we are in a frame where both electrons are initially at rest.
you can not find a frame in which both electron is at rest.feynman diagram is used to calculate amplitude.

1. What is Moller scattering?

Moller scattering is a type of electron-electron scattering that occurs when two electrons interact through the exchange of a photon. It is named after Danish physicist Christian Moller who first described this process in the 1920s.

2. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the mathematical calculations involved in particle interactions, such as Moller scattering. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and is an essential tool in particle physics.

3. How does a Feynman diagram represent Moller scattering?

A Feynman diagram for Moller scattering shows two electrons, represented by straight lines, interacting through the exchange of a photon, represented by a wavy line. The direction of the arrows on the lines indicates the direction of the electron's motion, and the position of the lines shows the position of the electrons in space.

4. What information can be obtained from a Moller scattering Feynman diagram?

A Moller scattering Feynman diagram can provide information about the probability of the electron-electron interaction, including the direction and energy of the scattered electrons. It can also help visualize the process and identify any potential discrepancies between theoretical predictions and experimental results.

5. How is Moller scattering relevant to particle physics research?

Moller scattering is one of the fundamental processes in particle physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. By studying Moller scattering, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.