1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary travelling wave problem

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sinusoidal wave of frequency 50 Hz travels along a string at velocity of 28 m/s. At a given instant the displacement and velocity of a certain point in the string are 24 mm and 1.2 m/s respectively. Taking the certain point and given instant to be x=0, t=0, derive the traveling wave equation which gives the displacement of any point on the string as a function of position x, and time t.

A point in the string has an acceleration of 1800 m/s², at a time 3.0 ms before the instant specified above. What is the minimum distance possible between this and the point x=0

2. Relevant equations

λ=v/f , k=2π/λ , y(x,t)= Asin(kx-ωt+[itex]\varphi[/itex])

I assume ∂²x/∂t²= -Aω²Sin(kx-ωt+[itex]\varphi[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

I would really appreciate the second part explained to me.

I got the first part:

y= Asin(kx-ωt+[itex]\varphi[/itex])

λ= v/f = 28/50 = 0.56 m and k= 2π/λ = 2π/0.56 = 11.2 rad/m and ω= 2πf = 100π

the velocity of the displaced point is obtained using a differential equation:

dy/dt = -Aωcos(kx-ωt+[itex]\varphi[/itex])

y= 0.024 = Asin([itex]\varphi[/itex]) at x=0, t=0

dy/dy= 1.2= -Acos([itex]\varphi[/itex])

solving the simultaneous equations we have [itex]\varphi[/itex] = -1.41 rad and A = -0.024 m

∴Equation of travelling wave is y= -0.024sin(11.2x-314t-1.41).

no idea about the next part. Can someone do it for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2
    The second part is done much like the first one. Differentiate the velocity function; that will give the acceleration, whose value you are given. You are further given the time, so the only unknown is the distance. Find it from the acceleration equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted