Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Trigonometry, Help with

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    Hello, I have been trying to solve this type of question but the results of my efforts are frequently disappointing. Since this is considered elementary and simple I have no doubt that someone can help me with this:

Solve arcsin (3/5) + arctan (1/7).

What if it had said 641/19 instead of 3/5, and 3/711 instead of 1/7? My teachers guided me towards:
    tan x = tan (arcsin 3/5 + arctan 1/7) =, if arcsin 3/5 = A and arctan 1/7 = B, =
    sin(A + B)/cos(A + B) which I develop to [(sinAcosB + cosAsinB)/(cosAcosB + sinAsinB)].
    I do not know what to do next, and I certainly do not see how this is elementary - or am I trying to solve it the wrong way? I know the answer but the method eludes me.

I apologize if above looks messy; some posts I have read contains very structured mathematical language and it seems to be in a different font - larger and bolder, but I don't know how to write that.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    cos(A + B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB ... Is it true? Check it.

If this message is beneficial for you, send a message. If it is not, explain what you do not understand.

Also, you can use a triangle to find cosA, sinB,... since you know that sinA=3/5 because of arcsin 3/5=A

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    cos(A + B) = cos(A)cos(B) + sin(A)sin(B). At least I believe it is so.
    Your message was unfortunately not beneficial for me as I find your triangle hint rather vague.

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got the sign wrong! It should be:cos(A + B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B).

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Oh sorry. I tried it again using that but I still fail: I get arctan(25/31). Help?

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    i dont know if you call this elementary// that
    arctanx +arctany=arctan(x+y)/1-xy

you can express arcsin(3/5) in arctan
    let arcsin(3/5)=A
    SinA=3/5
    CosA=squareroot(1-sqr(3/5))=4/5
    or, TanA=(3/5)/(4/5)=3/4
    A=arctan(3/4)
    or arcsin(3/5)=arctan(3/4)

now

arctan(3/4)+arctan(1/7)=arctan[ {(3/4)+(1/7)} / {1-(3/4)x(1/7)} ]
    =arctan[ (25/28)/(25/28) ]
    =arctan(1)
    =Pie/4
    ------------------------

or why not to use Tan(A+B)=TanA+TanB/1-TanATanB

you got arcsin(3/5)=A
    n TanA=3/4
    Similarly TanB=1/7

Tan(A+B)=(3/4+1/7){1-(3/4)x(1/7)}
    ..... and the same answer..
    i hope this is correct
    i think you have done some calculation or tranformation mistake while solving Sin(A+B)/cos(A+B)

if you post your steps ..... we can see the mistake thereafter

8. Sep 23, 2007 #7
    Thank you for your help! I solved it now but with the method I tried at first: I had made sloppy mistakes somewhere. Since (thanks to flora) cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB I got (sinA + cosAtanB)/(cosA - sinAtanB) and, calculating cosA through (1 - sinAsinA)^½ I get that sinA + cosAtanB = cosA - sinAtanB, why x = arctan 1 which is pi/4. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?