1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation formation

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If α is an arbitrary constant and a a fixed constant show that
    xcos α + ysin α = a

is the complete primitive of the equation

(y - xdy/dx)^2 = a^2( 1 + (dy/dx)^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

FIrst I found the first derivative by differentiating implicitly,

cosα + (dy/dx)sinα = 0

But now I'm looking for something to sub to try and get the differential equation and eliminate the arbitrary constants, but I keep getting into a loop and cancelling everything basically...

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    Hi lionely!

You have got two equations. Solve for cos(α) and sin(α) and plug them in the expression ##\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha=1##.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    But if I use those equations I have all I get is cos(α) in terms of x,y and sin(α) or dy/dx. SO when I put it in the identity I still can't get rid of the arbitrary constants.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

You goal is to confirm that the left hand side of the ODE is equal to the right hand side. If you work out [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]dy/dx[/itex] and just substitute them into the ODE then everything cancelling is exactly what you want!

6. Feb 5, 2014 #5
    But I want to move from the primitive to the differential.

7. Feb 5, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

Starting from the given solution and trying to manipulate it to obtain the given ODE is not going to work. Your solution is linear; the only way to eliminate the constants of integration is to differentiate twice to obtain [itex]y'' = 0[/itex]. That doesn't help you.

There are two approaches you can take:
    • Solve the ODE and show that its general solution takes the given form (this can be done; the easiest way is to differentiate both sides with respect to [itex]x[/itex]; unfortunately the resulting 2nd order equation admits solutions which don't satisfy the original first order ODE, and these solutions must be identified and eliminated).
    • Substitute the given form into the ODE and show that everything cancels (this is straightforward).

Actually, I suppose that if you're asked to show that a primitive is a complete primitive then you should use the first approach. Otherwise you've just shown that it is a primitive.

8. Feb 5, 2014 #7
    If I can't move from the primitive to the differential equation, how the heck did the author of the book get it? This thing is just puzzling me.

9. Feb 6, 2014 #8
    Let ##\cos\alpha=c## and ##\sin\alpha=e##, then you have the following system of linear equations:

$$cx+ey=a$$
    $$c+(dy/dx)e=0$$

Solve the above equations for ##c## and ##d##.

10. Feb 6, 2014 #9
    C = (a-ey)/x

and e= -c/(dy/dx) ? I guess.. Then put these in sin^2 a + cos^2a = 1?

11. Feb 6, 2014 #10
    I meant that find ##c## and ##e## in terms of x,y and dy/dx and then plug them in the identity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted