Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliot Spitzer Linked to Prostitution Ring

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The New York Governor, Eliot Spitzer (D) has been linked to a prostitution ring as reported in the New York Times (and thus it could all be a big lie). As attorney general in 2003, Spitzer
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/nyregion/10cnd-spitzer.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

It seems very unlike the Eliot Spitzer that said upon his inauguration
    Thanks for the 'transformation', Eliot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Hopefully, he will continue to throw Hillary Clinton his enthusiastic support.:rofl:

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Politicians are ****heads. No news here.

- Warren

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    Ugh, I hope this doesn't get buried under all the primary and election "news". These matters deserve serious attention. Either you clear his name entirely or find him guilty.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spitzer was already on my black list for his "licenses for illegals" scam.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Hey - once in a while the NY Times gets it right! :rofl:

The story has been given wide distribution - and Spitzer apologized to his family and the public. Well, at least he didn't deny it.

Apparently the feds have him on tape - Client 9 - arranging a rendezvous ($4300) at a hotel in Washington. And apparently Client 9 is a repeat customer.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    I can just see the ads now: Hooker $4,300 , Catch a politician doing the nasty, priceless. Master Card

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    He's probably going to resign in the morning, making David Peterson the first legally blind governor.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9
    Has he no shame? Now he's ruined it for all of us.

11. Mar 11, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

As long as she was wearing a "Made in America" sticker, I don't see any problem.

12. Mar 11, 2008 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When interviewed about it, Hillary looked totally off-balance. She really looked ill.
    Could Eliot have been her potential running mate? He was certainly on a trajectory to the White House... I guess the Mayflower will have to do.

13. Mar 11, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Some news sites are now posting that Spitzer is expected to resign.

14. Mar 11, 2008 #13
    It still could work. Hillary for Prez and Spitzer for Vice.

15. Mar 11, 2008 #14

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would certainly cinch it for Obama.

16. Mar 11, 2008 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The senator and governor of a very blue state, running together? Not a chance, IMO. Attorney General, maybe, but not her running mate.

17. Mar 11, 2008 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He violated two critical rules of sex scandals.

Don't get caught in a sex scandal when the opposing party controls at least one of the branches of legislature. Republicans control New York's Senate. (On the positive side, there's so few Republicans in the New York House that he'll never get impeached the way Clinton did). Spitzer could presumably face some kind of censure by a Republican New York Senate, just as Larry Craig was censured by a Democratic controlled Ethics Committee.

Don't get caught in a sex scandal when your replacement would be from the same party. Fellow party members are much more supportive when a member of the opposing party would be your replacement. David Vitter received much more sympathy from fellow Republicans and support for him staying in office in a state where a Democratic governor would name the replacement for a Republican Senator that resigned from office. Larry Craig received practically no support from fellow Republicans when his replacement would almost surely be another Republican.

If you're going to get involved in a sex scandal in spite of your possible replacement being from the same party, at least do it in a state so heavily tilted in your own party's favor that the opposing party can do nothing more than yell. Sure, Jim McGreevy may have eventually resigned early, but he was able to hang on long enough to ensure he was replaced by a fellow Democrat instead of forcing a special election that could be won by a Republican (in other words, it's almost the same as the previous rule).

It's probably best to get involved in a scandal in a state that has a long history of scandals. David Vitter simply displayed once again the truth that Louisiana seems to understand much better than the rest of the country - when it comes to scandals, the secret is practice, practice, practice!

18. Mar 11, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Revelations Began in Routine Tax Inquiry (which was far from routine)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/nyregion/11inquire.html
    Spitzer needs to resign. His first year as governor was poor, and his actions have compromised what little effectiveness he had.

19. Mar 11, 2008 #18

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just passed the NY State Capitol building. It's surrounded by news vans.

20. Mar 11, 2008 #19
    Hey everyone, im "new" here. I actually was registered on PF 2.0, I think it was, but never renewed.

Anyways, this man totally changed after he officially took office. He did not follow through on many of his promises, he tried to undermine and drag his opponents' names through the mud using very questionable methods, and now this? I hope he resigns. If not, we can only hope he is impeached.

If you kept track of his career as Attorney General, you would know he was ruthless and did not give people the benefit of the doubt or a second chance. Perhaps he should be shown the same.

21. Mar 11, 2008 #20
    This makes me wonder what the names of clients 1 thru 8 might be.

http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3628701

Spitzer's name may only be the first of many to pop out of this can of worms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?