Elongation of Tie Rods: LO or L?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trenthan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elongation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Trenthan
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, girls stupid question

Whats the actual formula for elongation of a tie rod
[tex]\delta = \frac{FL_{O}}{EA}[/tex]

or

[tex]\delta = \frac{FL}{EA}[/tex]

When searching the net, I've found some use the tie rod length "L"
Others use the original length of the tie rod LO (In my lecture notes the lecturer has used both interchangeably...)

I don't have a textbook on hand to check it against so I'm not 100% sure which one i can use.

Cheers Trent
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is derived using

ε = σ/E

and σ = F/A so

ε = F/AE

ε = change in length/original length

so δ= FL0/AE

However, if there is an extension δ, and then it extends again, you'd need to change the value of L0 to get the new value for δ.