EM length of gravitational waves

In summary, the length of the newly found gravitational waves in terms of traditional EM wavelengths cannot be accurately measured as the frequency and wavelength vary. The detected frequency of the gravitational waves was around 30-100 Hz, which would correspond to a wavelength of tens of thousands of light-years. However, this is not the same as the continuous stream of gravitational waves produced by stable orbiting black holes, which have wavelengths of tens of light-years and are relatively weak. The concept of gravitational waves and EM waves being similar is still being explored and is not fully understood in the context of the unified theory that physicists are searching for.
pioneerboy
Maybe a stupid question and maybe sensless to ask, but as I don't know, I ask anyway:
what is the length of the newly found gravitational waves in terms of traditional EM wavelengths?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
pioneerboy said:
Maybe a stupid question and maybe sensless to ask, but as I don't know, I ask anyway:
what is the length of the newly found gravitational waves in terms of traditional EM wavelengths?

I would think it would be the same as the frequency with which the two bodies orbited one another. I'd think that would be gigameters.

pioneerboy said:

unless they finally come together in the "unified theory" that physicists are searching for
putting gravitational waves and EM waves in the same sentence doesn't make senseDave

pioneerboy said:

The range of wavelengths is mentioned in this post in the humongous thread about this experiment in our relativity forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/advanced-ligo-detection.836670/page-6#post-5374990

It's a range because the signal didn't have a constant wavelength and frequency. The frequency increased with time (and the wavelength decreased) in a pattern that has been described as a "chirp."

If by "in terms of traditional EM wavelengths" you mean which electromagnetic waves have similar wavelengths, look up the wavelengths referenced above, in a diagram of the electromagnetic spectrum on Wikipedia or elsewhere. I'm on my way to dinner... :oldwink:

Last edited:
From the article you cited:
If two black holes are stably orbiting each other, they produce a continuous stream of gravitational waves at twice the orbital frequency, carrying away the system's rotational energy and angular momentum. Such ripples are thought to have wavelengths that are tens of light-years and are relatively weak.
(I added the boldface.) But these are not the gravitational waves that LIGO detected.

What LIGO detected was the stronger waves radiated as the two BHs were spiraling towards each other, faster and faster (higher and higher frequency), just before they merged. I can't lay my fingers on it at the moment, but I remember reading that the detected frequency varied from maybe 30 Hz up to a few hundred Hz. Choose 100 Hz as a typical value. Using v = fλ and v = c = 300000 km/s, what do you get for λ?

Likes fresh_42
jtbell said:
From the article you cited:

(I added the boldface.) But these are not the gravitational waves that LIGO detected.

What LIGO detected was the stronger waves radiated as the two BHs were spiraling towards each other, faster and faster (higher and higher frequency), just before they merged. I can't lay my fingers on it at the moment, but I remember reading that the detected frequency varied from maybe 30 Hz up to a few hundred Hz. Choose 100 Hz as a typical value. Using v = fλ and v = c = 300000 km/s, what do you get for λ?
Thanks for clarification.

davenn said:
unless they finally come together in the "unified theory" that physicists are searching for
putting gravitational waves and EM waves in the same sentence doesn't make senseDave

Yes, but gravity waves and EM waves are quite similar in form. They are both consequences of an attractive force in 3+1D. They both propagate at c. So the wavelengths seem like the same thing to me.

What is the electromagnetic (EM) length of gravitational waves?

The electromagnetic (EM) length of gravitational waves is the distance that the gravitational wave travels in one oscillation. It is a measure of the wavelength of the gravitational wave.

How is the EM length of gravitational waves related to the frequency?

The EM length of gravitational waves is inversely proportional to the frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the EM length decreases and vice versa.

What is the significance of the EM length in gravitational wave detection?

The EM length is important in gravitational wave detection because it determines the sensitivity of the detector. A longer EM length means that the detector is able to detect lower frequency gravitational waves.

What is the typical EM length of gravitational waves detected on Earth?

The typical EM length of gravitational waves detected on Earth is on the order of a few kilometers. This is because gravitational waves with shorter EM lengths are more difficult to detect due to the limitations of current detectors.

Can the EM length of gravitational waves be measured directly?

No, the EM length of gravitational waves cannot be measured directly. It can only be inferred from the frequency and amplitude of the gravitational wave signal detected by the detector.