EM , magnetic field at centre of a carrying circular loop

In summary, the two methods for finding the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying circular loop of radius R differ. Ampere's Law uses the enclosed magnetic field to determine the current, while Biot-Savart Law uses the magnitude of the magnetic field to determine the current.
binbagsss
The question is to find the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying circular loop of radius R, where the current = I

Okay so I'm trying to do this by both Amp's Law and Biot Savarts Law, and I can't get my answers to agree.

First method - Biot Savarts Law:

B=[itex]\frac{I\mu_{0}}{4\pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dl X \hat{n}}{n^{2}}[/itex]

n[itex]^{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex]

dl[itex]X[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]=dl (as |n|=R is always perpendicular to a given line element dl)

=> B=[itex]\frac{I\mu_{0}}{4\pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dl X \hat{n}}{n^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{I\mu_{0}}{4R^{2}\pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]dl=[itex]\frac{I\mu_{0}}{4R^{2}\pi}[/itex]2R[itex]\pi[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2R}[/itex]

Second method - Ampere's Law:

[itex]\oint[/itex]B.dl=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex]I(enclosed)

So B[itex]\oint[/itex]dl=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex]I

B2[itex]\pi[/itex]R=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex]I

=> B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2πR}[/itex]

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your Ampere's Law attempt, what is the loop you are using to determine the line integral? How did you arrive at [itex]2\pi R[/itex] in the third line?

An amperian loop running over the circular loop of wire

Ampère's law only applies in magnetostatics. That is, [itex]\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{l}[/itex] must be constant for all [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] in the loop. Is that the case for your ampèrian loop?

Oh okay, because [itex]I[/itex] constantly changes direction so does the direction of the magnetic field, although its magnitude is equal, and so B can not be taken outside the integral in line 3 of original post. Am I correct in thinking it is not possible to find any amperian loop were [itex]B[/itex].[itex]dl[/itex] is constant?

Correct. Ampere's Law can only be applied when B•dl is constant along the entire loop. It can be used for situations such as an infinitely long wire or solenoid because symmetry ensures that B is constant. There is no such symmetry in a single loop, so that's why Ampere's law isn't useful in this case.

yeah. also, you can derive the Biot-Savart law from Ampere's law, if you want some practice at integration.

1. What is EM and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

EM stands for electromagnetic, which is a type of energy that includes both electric and magnetic fields. Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and are an important component of EM energy.

2. What is the significance of the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop?

The magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop is significant because it is the strongest and most concentrated point of the magnetic field. This is due to the loop's symmetrical shape and the fact that the current is flowing in the same direction at every point along the loop.

3. How is the strength of the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop determined?

The strength of the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop is determined by the current flowing through the loop and the radius of the loop. The stronger the current and the smaller the radius, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop can be changed by reversing the direction of the current flowing through the loop. This will cause the magnetic field to reverse its direction as well.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop?

Understanding the magnetic field at the centre of a carrying circular loop has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also important in the study of electromagnetism and can be used in various medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines.