Emergency, Help With Stats Please

• Thread starter Zythyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary: Assuming a normal distribution, there would be a histogram that has a shape of the normal curve with 200 bars and a width of 1.5.
Zythyr
I have a problem which I can't figure out how to do. Can you please explain how to do it.

1) Six 6 trees are randomly selected from an orange grove. Assume the median yield in the entire grove is 2.8 boxes per tree. What is the probability that the yields from 4 of the 6 trees will exceed 2.8 boxes?

Which type of distribution would i use to solve this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zythyr said:
Which type of distribution would i use to solve this question?

It doesn't matter what the distribution is (assuming the number of trees is large and there aren't a lot of trees tied at 2.8). Just assume that half are above and half below and use the binomial formula.

X ~ Bin (n,p)

n=6, but what does p equal to?

Zythyr said:
X ~ Bin (n,p)

n=6, but what does p equal to?

What's the chance something is above the median?

CRGreathouse said:
What's the chance something is above the median?

I am guessing 50%?

Also I have another quick question

1. Highway paving material is a mix of asphalt, sand, gypsum, and other ingredients.
Several Abatches@ of paving material are mixed each day. Asphalt content differs from batch to
batch, with a normal distribution that has mean μ=100 lb per ton and standard deviation σ=6 lb
per ton.

a. (15 pts) Sketch a histogram that might represent a sample of 200 batches.

How would I draw a historgram for this? I mean, how would I figure out how many bars I need and what should the width of it be. If he just told me to draw the curve, I would be able to draw it, but how do i draw the histogram. I know the histogram to have a shape of the normal curve, but how many bars and what's the width?

What does it mean by 200 batches?

Why are you guessing? What is the definition of "median"?

1. What is meant by "Emergency, Help With Stats Please"?

"Emergency, Help With Stats Please" is a common phrase used to indicate an urgent need for assistance with statistics-related tasks or problems. It could refer to anything from understanding a difficult concept to completing a time-sensitive project.

2. Who can help with "Emergency, Help With Stats Please"?

There are several options for getting help with statistics in an emergency situation. You could consult a tutor, a professor, a classmate, or an online resource. It is important to seek help from someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter.

3. What are some common statistics-related emergencies?

Some common statistics-related emergencies include not understanding a key concept or formula, being unable to complete a project or assignment on time, and encountering unexpected obstacles or errors while analyzing data.

4. How can I prepare for potential statistics-related emergencies?

One way to prepare for potential statistics-related emergencies is to stay organized and on top of your coursework. This means attending lectures, taking good notes, and completing assignments and practice problems regularly. It is also helpful to build a network of resources, such as classmates, professors, and online forums, for when you need assistance.

5. Are there any tips for handling a statistics-related emergency?

When facing a statistics-related emergency, it is important to remain calm and focused. Take a deep breath and assess the situation. Identify the specific issue or problem, and try to break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Seek help from reliable sources and don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid feeling overwhelmed.