EMF Radiation detected from TV

In summary, a smart TV's magnetic field may be higher than 1000 microteslas when it's turned off, but it's unlikely to emit more radiation than when it's turned on.
ChrisCOD
Hello. I have a quick question in regards to EMF radiation. In particular, I would like to know what quantity of microteslas a smart TV would emit. In particular, would it be unusual for a smart TV to emit in excess of 1000 microteslas even when turned off? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Microteslas are a unit of measurement for magnetic field strength, which isn't something 'emitted' in the usual use of the word. For EM radiation we typically use units of power or energy, like Watts or Joules. In terms of power emitted as non-infrared EM radiation, the amount emitted when a TV is turned off is going to be substantially less than the power draw the TV has when turned off (since most TV's are in 'standby' mode, not actually turned off). If the standby power draw is, say, 5 Watts, then almost all of that power is lost as heat transfer to the air or as IR radiation. A very tiny amount is turned directly into EM radiation through non-heat related radiative effects.

Likes Klystron, russ_watters and vanhees71
Drakkith said:
Microteslas are a unit of measurement for magnetic field strength, which isn't something 'emitted' in the usual use of the word. For EM radiation we typically use units of power or energy, like Watts or Joules. In terms of power emitted as non-infrared EM radiation, the amount emitted when a TV is turned off is going to be substantially less than the power draw the TV has when turned off (since most TV's are in 'standby' mode, not actually turned off). If the standby power draw is, say, 5 Watts, then almost all of that power is lost as heat transfer to the air or as IR radiation. A very tiny amount is turned directly into EM radiation through non-heat related radiative effects.
Ok. So in terms of microteslas, would it be normal to measure in excess of 1500 from a smart TV that is turned off? If so, what would be inside the TV that would cause this observed measurement to manifest?

I'm not sure. My phone's magnetic field detector app shows an ambient field of about 10 microtesla, which goes to 50 when I lay it on my metal desk, and actually decreases to around 5-6 microtesla when placed near my monitors or my smart tv.

Likes vanhees71
It could simply be that some part of the TV chassi is magnetic. The earth's background field is about 50 microTesla (depending on where you are). if you were to measure the field next to a regular refrigerator magnet you would measure a field of many thousands of microtesla (=many milliTesla). The field next to a strong rare-earth magnet would be millions of microTesla (=Tesla) .
One wouldn't usually use "tesla" to mesure EMF, it is usually measurement of static magnetic fields.

Likes vanhees71
As said before, Teslas have pretty much nothing to do with radiation.

10,000 uT is about the field strength of a refrigerator magnet.

A loudspeaker, which your TV likely has, would probably be more.

Likes hutchphd, Klystron and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
You beat me to it.
In the days of large shadow mask tubes, I'd bet you could measure the local 16kHz non-radiating field with an analogue multimeter and small coil of wire.

ChrisCOD said:
Hello. I have a quick question in regards to EMF radiation.
Generally, EMF refers to low frequency electromagnetic fields such as those surrounding an active AC wire. Most communication devices such as your smart television and telephone receive and transmit radiofrequency (RF) radiation that can be detected with a variety of handheld devices.

Most RF detectors consist of an antenna connected to circuitry that allows humans to see a signal by deflecting a calibrated meter or watch a waveform, or to hear an audible whine or beep by modulating the RF into a frequency range suitable for human ears. The latter audible detectors are common inexpensive devices, often seen in high tech spy movies, used to isolate an RF source, usually indoors.

Many RF meters are calibrated using logarithmic or other scales for technical reasons, supplying readings in decibels or decibel-meters for audio signal outputs and power in Watts/meter2 for power meter deflections.

A cursory online search for "RF detector" yielded this page of electronic devices as examples.

Vanadium 50 said:

If loudspeakers were responsible, would you expect uniform measurement either side of the smart TV? Would you be able to review my video on youtube which shows this and give me your view?

First and foremost, the "Detected High Radiations" warning is downright wrong. There is no radiation coming from that TV (other than regular IR due to its temperature). You are reading the magnetic field, not the emitted radiation. I think your app is trying to fool you into thinking that its beeping and warning message means it has detected something dangerous. It has not.

Also, what units was the 2nd app using?

Overall I didn't see anything worrying. Those magnetic field strengths, even if true for the 1000+ microTesla readings, are not a concern.

ChrisCOD said:
If loudspeakers were responsible, would you expect uniform measurement either side of the smart TV? Would you be able to review my video on youtube which shows this and give me your view?

Sure, why not?
That app is most likely using the built in magnetometer in your phone, the same magnetometer that is normally used as a compass and assist in navigation. This means that it is reacting to the STATIC magnetic field from the TV, it is NOT what one would normally think of as radiation.
The field detected is only a few hundred microTesla which is not a large field, Again, a normal refrigerator magnet generates much larger fields.

ChrisCOD said:
Hello. I have a quick question in regards to EMF radiation. In particular, I would like to know what quantity of microteslas a smart TV would emit. In particular, would it be unusual for a smart TV to emit in excess of 1000 microteslas even when turned off? Thanks.
There is one important point that should be made here. The term "radiation" actually implies energy being launched out into space and being lost to the system. However, the levels of local energy can be a lot higher than the radiated energy. It all comes down to the phase angle between the E and the H fields. Locally, they are mostly in quadrature and the energy is reactive but, after a wavelength or so, the reactive energy is diminished and then radiated energy (in which the remaining vectors E and H are in phase) is all that's left. We then treat the structure as an 'aerial' and the radiated power depends more on the actual size of the structure. For a badly built mains transformer, the local leakage field can be very high and easy to measure but, after a few wavelengths ( many tens of km) the actual energy radiated is tiny. (I'm not referring to the inverse square factor here but the mode change of the field oscillations.)

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:

Drakkith said:
First and foremost, the "Detected High Radiations" warning is downright wrong. There is no radiation coming from that TV (other than regular IR due to its temperature). You are reading the magnetic field, not the emitted radiation. I think your app is trying to fool you into thinking that its beeping and warning message means it has detected something dangerous. It has not.

Overall I didn't see anything worrying. Those magnetic field strengths, even if true for the 1000+ microTesla readings, are not a concern.
Drakkith said:

So the microtesla count is not a concern. But what would be inside the smart TV to cause that measurement? The only thing that I have come across is the internal speakers, because they apparently contain magnets. The only problem is that the microtesla count is non uniform on either side of the TV. This is repeatable, which is something I dont think you would expect if it was the speakers.

ChrisCOD said:
So the microtesla count is not a concern. But what would be inside the smart TV to cause that measurement? The only thing that I have come across is the internal speakers, because they apparently contain magnets. The only problem is that the microtesla count is non uniform on either side of the TV. This is repeatable, which is something I dont think you would expect if it was the speakers.

There could be many reasons. The speakers are still a likely source since modern TV is likely to contain quite a few (since they often try to to create a simple form of "surround sound").
However, it could also be that part of the structure of the TV is made from iron that has become slightly magnetized.

For fun I just tried waving my phone around my desk and I am registering about 150 uT near the metal legs of my desk....

One thing worth keeping in mind that the sensors in your phone is meant to be used as a compass, this means that they are designed to measure fields that are at most around 50 uT or so and won't necessarily be calibrated (or even linear) for higher fields. Don't expect the results to be even remotely accurate if you try to measure much higher fields, they might end up showing nonsense values.

ChrisCOD said:
This is repeatable, which is something I dont think you would expect if it was the speakers.

of course it is repeatable..... the magnetic field of the permanent magnets in the speakers
of the TV do not change in strength

Likes hutchphd, Vanadium 50 and vanhees71

1. What is EMF radiation?

EMF stands for electromagnetic fields, which are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. This energy can be found in different forms, including radio waves, microwaves, and visible light. EMF radiation is a type of non-ionizing radiation that is emitted from various sources, including TVs.

2. Is EMF radiation harmful?

The effects of EMF radiation on human health are still being studied and debated. Some studies have shown potential links between high levels of EMF exposure and certain health issues, such as cancer. However, the overall consensus is that the levels of EMF radiation emitted from everyday devices, including TVs, are not harmful to humans.

3. How is EMF radiation measured?

EMF radiation is measured in units called milligauss (mG) or microtesla (µT). These units measure the strength of the magnetic field created by the EMF radiation. The higher the number, the stronger the magnetic field and the higher the exposure to EMF radiation.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF radiation from my TV?

There are a few ways to reduce your exposure to EMF radiation from your TV. One way is to sit at least 6 feet away from the TV, as the strength of the EMF radiation decreases with distance. You can also turn off your TV when not in use, as the EMF radiation is emitted when the TV is turned on. Additionally, you can use a shield or EMF-blocking device on your TV, which can reduce the amount of radiation emitted.

5. Are there any regulations for EMF radiation from TVs?

Currently, there are no federal regulations in the United States for EMF radiation from TVs. However, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does have guidelines for the maximum amount of radiation that electronic devices can emit. Most TVs on the market today meet these guidelines and emit very low levels of EMF radiation. Some countries, such as Switzerland and Italy, have stricter regulations for EMF radiation from TVs.