Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMF radiation shielding and dirty electricity

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1
    Hello,

Does anyone shield themselves from computer / monitor from EMF radiation? if so what materials do you use to cover/coat your electronics?

I am buying an EMF meter soon (Trifield 100XE) and plan on solving all my EMF issues, specifically around my computer tower, monitor, and other electronics.

I don't know what materials to use or where to get them - I would greatly appreciate some help in this.

Thank you ~

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2
    This website sums up what I am talking about:

http://www.lessemf.com/index.html

I guess I am just trying to find someone who is familiar enough with EMF radiation to give a beginner some advice...

Also, everything on this site seems very expensive and maybe there is an alternative to finding the materials I need?

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the US, FCC regulations require that computers, monitors, and other digital electronic devices already be shielded to prevent the emission of RF energy which might interfere with other electronic devices, radios, etc.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet62/oet62rev.pdf

There are two broad classes of devices: those intended for business use and those intended for home use.

I'm sure the EU and Japan have similar rules.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I've heard that tinfoil works well. You can form it into all kinds of useful shapes... :rolleyes:

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Interesting. There was an article a friend was lambasting on FB just the other day about "Dirty Electricity". I followed the link to a soft-fuzzy site that tried very hard to convince me that the electronics and electrical systems in my house were polluting me, and that they had the antidote.

7. Feb 11, 2015 #6

berkeman

How much did you end up paying? :-)

8. Feb 11, 2015 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Cost me at least 45 seconds that I'll never get back.

9. Feb 11, 2015 #8
    Just don't hold a laptop too long on your lap. You know, it can cook your testicles:D
    And don't ever use a cell phone and you'll be fine.

10. Feb 11, 2015 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heck. I'm trying to use dirty electricity. Working on generating soft x-rays for the "Beauty ..." thread. :approve:

11. Feb 11, 2015 #10
    First: "EMF" does not mean "Electromagnetic field", "EM Frequency" (which isn't even a thing, though I've heard this term used) or anything of the sort. It stands for "electromotive force". Maybe coat yourself in resistors?

Anyway. While all electronic devices do necessarily produce some radiation, it's not the dangerous kind. The radiation from electronics typically lives in the microwave to radio area of the spectrum. This happens to any changing current in a conductor.

Now, understand a few things. UV, X-ray, and gamma radiation are dangerous because they are 1.) high frequency (wavelengths small enough to interfere with chemical bonds in cells) and 2.) high energy (they are incident on atoms with enough energy to ionize them). IR and Microwave radiation (the sort you can likely expect to be produced by your electronics and appliances) have wavelengths billions of times longer than UV, X, and gamma rays, far too large to mess with atomic bonds. As a result, they are also extremely low energy. They certainly have less energy and longer wavelengths than radiation in the optical spectrum (AKA visible light). So suffice to say, if the truly tiny amounts of low energy, low-frequency radiation from your computer or home wiring was dangerous, then visible light would be downright lethal.

Of course, if you're still concerned (which you shouldn't be) the FCC requires all electronics to be properly shielded so as not to produce electromagnetic radiation that may interfere with other devices (the only reasonable concern from radiation coming from your appliances).

Just be careful about which one. The wrong shape might actually end up amplifying the signal, apparently: http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ (maybe the most delightful thing I've read all day).

12. Feb 11, 2015 #11

berkeman

13. Feb 11, 2015 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope Evo is taking notes. :olduhh:

She uses them for meteorites and things coming from above.

Just kidding. Don't ban me Evo.

14. Feb 11, 2015 #13
    Yes this is all very interesting ~

I spend literally all day in front of a computer and various electronics so I am a bit worried. I am trying the tinfoil idea until I can find a better solution, as I heard tinfoil reflects em-waves very well. I heard that anything wireless emits a much stronger signal than if it is corded and grounded, and the base of laptops also emit high radiation. I don't have a SmartMeter attached to my house, but based on what I have been told they cause a major radiation problem.

15. Feb 12, 2015 #14

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe your fears are unfounded.

We've lived in a sea of radio waves since early 1900's.
    I am within sight ot two cellphone towers and a FM radio tower.
    Nowadays everybody seems to have a cellphone in their pocket or purse.
    Forget the smart meter it's nothing more than a cordless phone that only reports in a few times a day.
    http://www.fpl.com/energysmart/pdf/radio_frequency.pdf [Broken]
    http://www.arrl.org/smart-meters

CFL lamps are more intense than computers.
    http://www.ieice.org/proceedings/EMC09/pdf/22S3-3.pdf

Don't live a fear based life. Knowledge is power. Train your search engine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  16. Feb 12, 2015 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You might, for your own enlightenment, apply Planck's radiation law to the tree in the back yard, the spider plant or philodendron in the house, or the hair on your head to get an idea of how much electromagnetic radiation in what bandwidths you're exposed to as a result of living in a 300 K environment.

17. Feb 14, 2015 #16

Dale

Closed pending moderation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook