EMF v time graph vs change in flux v time

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the 2007 HSC that asks to choose the best graph of induced emf based on a graph of change in magnetic flux vs time. The expert summarizer explains that emf is determined by the negative time derivative of flux and is at maximum when the flux-time graph is steepest. They also clarify that the vertical lines in the graph do not have any significance. The conversation ends with a clarification about the purpose of the vertical lines.
alv
I'm actually a teacher and I can't explain this problem from the 2007 HSC. I've attached a copy of the question and the two graphs. The question shows a graph of change in magnetic flux vs time and asks you to choose which graph of induced emf best fits it. I don't understand why the induced emf is at max even while the change in flux increases (or decreases).

I've searched for help on this but can't find it. I'd appreciate any explanation you could give me.

Thanks

Homework Statement

Please see above

Homework Equations

Please see above

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see above

Attachments

• For physics forums.png
    For physics forums.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 13,148
Physics news on Phys.org
emf= -ΔΦ/Δt, more accurately, the negative of the time derivative of the flux. The magnitude of the emf is maximum when the flux-time graph is steepest. ΔΦ is the change of the flux in time interval Δt.
As the graph consists of linear segments, the emf is constant within one segment. The vertical lines do not mean anything.
ehild

Actually there's no maximum or minimum value. Just polarity change due to changes in gradient.Normally verticall line is dotted.

Thanks heaps for this.

Dear teacher,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It is understandable that you may be having difficulty understanding the relationship between EMF and change in flux based on the given graphs. Let's break down the concepts to gain a better understanding.

Firstly, EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage generated in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This means that a change in magnetic flux, which is the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area, will result in an induced EMF.

Now, looking at the graphs, we can see that the change in magnetic flux is increasing or decreasing over time. This means that the magnetic field passing through the conductor is also changing, resulting in an induced EMF. The magnitude of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux, which is why we see the EMF at its maximum when the change in flux is at its highest point.

To better understand this concept, imagine a simple scenario where a magnet is moving closer to a coil of wire. As the magnet moves closer, the magnetic flux passing through the coil increases, resulting in an induced EMF. As the magnet continues to move closer, the change in flux decreases and the induced EMF decreases as well. Once the magnet is stationary, the change in flux is zero and therefore there is no induced EMF.

In summary, the reason why the induced EMF is at its maximum even while the change in flux is increasing or decreasing is because the magnitude of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. I hope this explanation helps clarify the concept for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out for more assistance. Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

What is an EMF v time graph?

An EMF v time graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between electromotive force (EMF) and time. It shows how the EMF changes over a period of time, and can be used to analyze the behavior of electric circuits and devices.

What is flux and how does it relate to EMF?

Flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a surface. In the context of an EMF v time graph, it represents the change in the EMF over time. As the flux changes, the EMF also changes, which is why they are often plotted together on a graph.

What factors can affect the shape of an EMF v time graph?

The shape of an EMF v time graph can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in a coil, the speed at which the magnetic field is changing, and the resistance of the circuit. Additionally, the type of material used in the circuit can also impact the graph's shape.

How is an EMF v time graph useful in studying electromagnetic induction?

An EMF v time graph is useful in studying electromagnetic induction because it helps to visualize the relationship between the changing magnetic field and the resulting EMF. By analyzing the shape and slope of the graph, scientists can gain a better understanding of the principles and effects of electromagnetic induction.

What are some real-world applications of EMF v time graphs?

EMF v time graphs have many real-world applications, including in the design and analysis of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation to optimize circuits and devices for maximum efficiency. Additionally, EMF v time graphs are important in understanding the effects of electromagnetic fields on human health and safety.