1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Empirical Formula of a Compound with only percentages given

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Empirical Formula of a compound which, when analyzed, is shown to consist of 62.07% carbon, 27.59% oxygen and 10.34% hydrogen.
    The answer is supposedly C3OH6

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First,I started by writing the ratio: C : O : H
    Then, under each, I wrote the respective percentages.
    I divided everything by the lowest percentage (10.34), giving me a ratio of 6:2.668:1, (C6O3H).
    I have no real idea of what to do or where I went wrong. Thanks so much for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    I'm really sorry- worked it out from another thread:)

Percent to mass,
    Mass to mole,
    Divide by small,
    Multiply 'til whole.

Assume 100g of compound. Change % to g. Divide these masses by their molar masses to get moles. Divide each mole amount by the smallest mole quantity of the group. You'll get numbers that are either close to a whole number or close to half (such as 1.5, 2.5, etc.) multiply all of the numbers by a common factor until they are all whole numbers, and this will be the empirical formula.
    Thanks to Gannon on thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224348 :)

PS: how do I delete a thread once I found the solution (before any posts)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook