Calculating Pump Power for Well Water Removal

In summary: I will try thinking about it using a simple integration, and then comparing that to the answer you get by using the center of the water column for the mean displacement.
Akash47

Homework Statement

A well has a diameter of 6 m and a height of 15 m.2/3 of volume of the well is filled with water.A pump can vacate 1/3 of volume of water from the well in 7 minutes 20 seconds.What is the power of the pump?

Homework Equations

W=mgh, P=W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The question can be solved easily by using the given equations.But I don't know how I will find the mean displacement of center of gravity.Actually I don't have any idea about this (the part in bold line).So I want a clear concept about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try making a sketch of where the water is before and after the pumping process?

phyzguy said:
Why don't you try making a sketch of where the water is before and after the pumping process?
I am sure that you haven't understand my problem clearly .I have already made a sketch of the problem but I haven't any idea about mean displacement of center of gravity.I just want a clear concept about this and nothing else.

Akash47 said:
I am sure that you haven't understand my problem clearly .I have already made a sketch of the problem but I haven't any idea about mean displacement of center of gravity.I just want a clear concept about this and nothing else.
Have you tried thinking about it using a simple integration, and then comparing that to the answer you get by using the center of the water column for the mean displacement? Or even simpler, you don't have to set up the integration, just consider different cases with different "pieces" of the water being taken out separately. Start with one whole piece with the center of mass in the center of the water column, and lift that center up to ground level. Then cut the column in half, and do the same for the two separate water columns and their centers of gravity. Then do the case cutting the water column into 4 pieces, and so on... :smile:

Akash47 said:
I haven't any idea about mean displacement of center of gravity.I just want a clear concept about this and nothing else.
it means figuring out where the mass centre of the pumped water is before and after pumping and taking the vertical difference between the two.

haruspex said:
it means figuring out where the mass centre of the pumped water is before and after pumping and taking the vertical difference between the two.
Thanks.

What is the purpose of emptying a well using a pump?

The purpose of emptying a well using a pump is to remove water or other liquids from the well in order to access and repair the well or to use the water for irrigation or other purposes.

What are the different types of pumps used for emptying a well?

There are several types of pumps that can be used for emptying a well, including submersible pumps, jet pumps, and hand pumps. The type of pump used will depend on the depth and size of the well, as well as the amount of water that needs to be removed.

How does a pump work to empty a well?

A pump works by creating a vacuum or suction that draws water from the well and pushes it through a pipe or hose to a desired location. Submersible pumps are placed inside the well and use impellers to push water through the system, while jet pumps are located outside of the well and use pressure to pull water out.

What are the factors to consider when selecting a pump for emptying a well?

When selecting a pump for emptying a well, it is important to consider the size and depth of the well, the amount of water that needs to be removed, the type of power source available, and the budget for the project. It is also important to ensure that the pump is compatible with the type of well and meets any local regulations or codes.

Are there any safety precautions to take when emptying a well using a pump?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when emptying a well using a pump. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring the pump is properly grounded and installed, and following manufacturer instructions for operation and maintenance. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards, such as electrical wiring or gas lines, when working near the well.