Calculating Pump Power and Fountain Height from Water Ejection Speed

In summary: Yes. And the second part represents the change in potential energy. So, what does the entire expression represent?It represents the change in workYes. As you noted, total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy: Emech = KE + PE. So, if you add together the change in KE and the change in PE, what do you get?You get the total mechanical energy: Emech = K + U.
amanda.ka

Homework Statement

A pump draws 500 kg of water/min from a 12 m deep well. The water is ejected with a speed of 20 m/s.
a) What is the power output of the pump?
b) How high is the fountain (ignoring air resistance)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I found the potential energy and kinetic energy:
PE: m*g*delta h = (500)(9.81)(12) = 58860 J
KE: 1/2mv^2(final) - 1/2mv^2(initial) = 1/2(500)(20)^2 - 0 = 100, 000 J
Then I used Power = change in Work/change in time
= KE+PE/60 seconds
= 2647.7 W
Is this correct?

And I'm stuck on part b, here is what I did but I am not sure if it is correct:
[1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)]
-1/2mv^2(initial) = mgh(final)
-1/2*20^2/9.81 = h (final)
so height final = 20.4 m

Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
amanda.ka said:

= KE+PE/60 seconds
= 2647.7 W
Is this correct?
Looks correct. "change in work" should just be "work". Does your instructor care about significant figures?

Is this supposed to be an equation? I don't see an equal sign.

so height final = 20.4 m
You can see that something went wrong here. Your next to last equation implies that h is negative. Did you just arbitrarily drop the negative sign to get your final answer?

amanda.ka said:

Homework Statement

A pump draws 500 kg of water/min from a 12 m deep well. The water is ejected with a speed of 20 m/s.
a) What is the power output of the pump?
b) How high is the fountain (ignoring air resistance)

Homework Equations

= KE+PE/60 seconds
= 2647.7 W
Is this correct?

You need to examine the units of your calculations.

The pump draws water at the rate of 500 kg/min, which is not the same as 500 kg.
You are then multiplying 500 kg/min by v2 in (m/s)2. I don't think the end result of this calculation is Joules. Ditto for the calculation of PE.

so height final = 20.4 m

Any help is appreciated :)

TSny said:
Looks correct. Does your instructor care about significant figures?Is this supposed to be an equation? I don't see an equal sign.You can see that something went wrong here. Your next to last equation implies that h is negative. Did you just arbitrarily drop the negative sign to get your final answer?
TSny said:
Looks correct. Does your instructor care about significant figures?Is this supposed to be an equation? I don't see an equal sign.You can see that something went wrong here. Your next to last equation implies that h is negative. Did you just arbitrarily drop the negative sign to get your final answer?
For my equation i tried to do -1/2v^2 = mgh then solve for h but I think that is incorrect because I did get a negative :/

Go back to your starting expression [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)]. What does this represent? What should it be equal to?

TSny said:
Go back to your starting expression [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)]. What does this represent? What should it be equal to?
It represents the total energy Emech = K + U, should it be equal to zero (conservation of energy)?

amanda.ka said:
It represents the total energy Emech = K + U, should it be equal to zero (conservation of energy)?
It does not represent the total energy. Let's take part of your expression: [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] . What does this represent?

TSny said:
It does not represent the total energy. Let's take part of your expression: [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] . What does this represent?
It represents the change in kinetic energy

Yes. And the second part represents the change in potential energy. So, what does the entire expression represent?

TSny said:
Yes. And the second part represents the change in potential energy. So, what does the entire expression represent?
Is it the change in work?

No. As you noted, total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy: Emech = KE + PE. So, if you add together the change in KE and the change in PE, what do you get?

TSny said:
No. As you noted, total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy: Emech = KE + PE. So, if you add together the change in KE and the change in PE, what do you get?
K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial) ?
Sorry I don't think I am understanding the concept :(

amanda.ka said:
K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial) ?
OK. This equation is correct. Note that this is equivalent to saying [K(final) - K(initial)] + [U (final) - U (initial)] = 0.

When you wrote the expression [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)] in your first post, you were writing [K(final) - K(initial)] + [U (final) - U (initial)] . So, I was trying to prod you into seeing that the expression you wrote down represents the total change in mechanical energy, ΔEmech.

[1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)] = ΔEmech.

The law of conservation of energy tells you that the change in total energy is zero. ΔEmech = 0. Therefore

[K(final) - K(initial)] + [U (final) - U (initial)] = 0

You can then rearrange this as K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial). This just says that the final total energy equals the initial total energy. You can solve the problem by starting with either this equation

or, this equation

K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial).

They represent the same idea of conservation of energy.

So, using either equation, try applying it to your situation and see if you can get a positive value for h.

TSny said:
OK. This equation is correct. Note that this is equivalent to saying [K(final) - K(initial)] + [U (final) - U (initial)] = 0.

When you wrote the expression [1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)] in your first post, you were writing [K(final) - K(initial)] + [U (final) - U (initial)] . So, I was trying to prod you into seeing that the expression you wrote down represents the total change in mechanical energy, ΔEmech.

[1/2mv^2(final)-1/2mv^2(initial)] + [mgh(final) -mgh(initial)] = ΔEmech.

The law of conservation of energy tells you that the change in total energy is zero. ΔEmech = 0. Therefore

You can then rearrange this as K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial). This just says that the final total energy equals the initial total energy. You can solve the problem by starting with either this equation

or, this equation

K(final) + U (final) = K(initial) + U (initial).

They represent the same idea of conservation of energy.

So, using either equation, try applying it to your situation and see if you can get a positive value for h.
Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
= 1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh
= 100,000 + (500)(9.81)h = 0 + (500)(9.81)(12)
= 100, 000 + 4905h = 58,860
41140 = - 4905 h
h = -8.387 m
My answer is still negative, is something wrong with the initial/final values ?

Let's be clear on where you are taking the initial position and where you are taking the final position.

TSny said:
Let's be clear on where you are taking the initial position and where you are taking the final position.
Would the initial U be negative 12 since it is below the well? If I take the top of the well as a reference point (zero) then the water would initially start -12 m below that

My interpretation of the problem is that the water is projected upward with a speed of 20 m/s at ground level. So, if you are going to let your initial point be the point where the water has a speed of 20 m/s, then what would be your initial height?

TSny said:
My interpretation of the problem is that the water is projected upward with a speed of 20 m/s at ground level. So, if you are going to let your initial point be the point where the water has a speed of 20 m/s, then what would be your initial height?
Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
0 + (500)(9.81)h = 1/2(500)(20^2) + 0
Now I get the same answer as I originally got but with a positive sign

Yes, that looks good.

Likes amanda.ka
TSny said:
Yes, that looks good.
Thank you for your help!

OK. Good work!

1. What is the power output of a pump?

The power output of a pump refers to the amount of energy that the pump can generate in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

2. How is the power output of a pump calculated?

The power output of a pump can be calculated by multiplying the pump's flow rate (volume of fluid moved per unit of time) by its pressure (force per unit of area) and dividing by the pump's efficiency. This can be expressed as: Power = (Flow Rate x Pressure) / Efficiency.

3. What factors affect the power output of a pump?

The power output of a pump can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the pump, the speed at which it operates, the density and viscosity of the fluid being pumped, and the resistance or head against which the pump is working.

4. How does the power output of a pump impact its performance?

A higher power output generally means that the pump is able to generate more energy and therefore can move fluid more quickly and efficiently. However, a pump with a high power output may also consume more energy and require more maintenance.

5. Can the power output of a pump be increased?

Yes, the power output of a pump can be increased by increasing the pump's speed, using a larger pump, or optimizing the pump's design and efficiency. However, it is important to consider the potential trade-offs and costs associated with increasing a pump's power output.