Energy and Capacitors of metal spheres

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
Mitchtwitchita
Messages
187
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two uncharged metal spheres, spaced 15.0 cm apart , have a capacitance of 24.0 pF. How much work would it take to move 12.0 nC of charge from one sphere to the other?

Homework Equations



V = Q/[4(pi)eor]
(delta)K + (delta)U = 0 *I think

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not quite sure how to do this problem. I think I would first have to find out the potential difference between the spheres?

V = Q/[4(pi)eo*r]
=(12.0 x 10^-9)/[4(pi)(8.85 x 10^-12)(1.5 x 10^-1)
=719 V

Can somebody please tell me if I'm going in the right direction and, if not, could you please steer me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the law of energy conservation, the work needed = the change in the energy of the capacitor. So all you need to find is the initial energy and the final energy.
 
So, U = Q^2/2C would be the equation to use?
 
Would the initial energy be 0 because they are originally uncharged?
 
I think so because the electric field depends on the charge of the spheres. Therefore, if there is no charge, there can't be any electric field.