Drakkith, thanks, but I think I answered my own question, but feel free to refute. This problem is more of an engineering problem. I'm only looking for an approximation (and it isn't really applied to anything. Just something I became curious about, which is why I am only looking into average impact force.) I had to review my old Mechanics of Materials textbook. There is this thing called elastic strain energy that can be used with the concept of impact loading. During impact loading, the kinetic energy of the object that is about to impact will be equal to the maximum elastic strain energy on the object being impacted. U = .5 mv2 For a rod with uniform cross section, the strain energy is derived as: U = P2L/(2AE), where P is the axial force applied, L is the length, A is the cross-sectional area, and E is the Young's Modulus.
So the answer is yes and no. The question comes in when you take into account the material and it's Young's Modulus. The material is now restricted to motion at it's fixed point. So if you're considering concrete as the object that impacts you with an average for Favg, the same material can't be used for the falling case, as the material would require a much larger amount of force to compress the material to the point that the strain energy equates to the kinetic energy. In other words, it hurts much more to fall onto a rigid object than to be impacted by it given the same impact energy.
So in order to equate the two scenarios as best as possible, I would need to change the material onto which the object falls on. It would require a lower Young's modulus, but enough so that the average force and compression energy for the fall is equivalent to the average force and kinetic energy in the case of the collision. The impact areas should also be the same, because damage occurs not by force alone, but by force per unit area. Also, the fact that KE = Um will will take into account that Um is a function of the maximum force, not an average force. Because in the elastic range, the force is proportional to displacement, it is fair to say that Pavg = Pmax/2. I know that Pmax in this case is different to the maximum force on a collision, but since there is no real way to determine the max forces of an impact without instrumentation and experimentation, an average is suffice for me. I know that in reality, the force of a collision over time spikes up, then shoots back down in a short period of time.