Energy Balance Spring Slider system

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a spring slider system that involves an electro engine pulling on a spring with a constant velocity. The goal is to calculate the average velocity during the slip event, taking into account the force applied by the electric engine. The equation presented includes terms for energy and displacement, but the units do not match. Integration over time is suggested as a possible solution, but further clarification is needed. Additionally, the motion of the block can become complicated due to factors such as static and kinetic friction.
SquareCircles
I am currently looking facing a problem concerning a spring slider system.
The system consists of a electro engine that pulls on a spring with a constant velocity. The spring is attached to a block that sticks to the surface, but after a certain force is applied (by the spring) starts to slip and move a certain distance. I want to calculate the average velocity during the slip event. To get an as close to realistic situation as possible the force applied by the electric engine during the slip event also has to be taken into accound.
So far I came up with this:
F*vpull velocity electric engine=0.5kxdisplacement spring^2+0.5m(vblock^2-mgxdisplacement block(mu)
Now I have been told that I can solve the problem by integration over time. But I am rather confused as to how I can do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot pull with a constant velocity - you can move at a constant velocity.
To move at a constant velocity while pulling one a spring means that the force supplied by the engine varies with it's position.

Fv is the rate that energy is arriving via the engine - it is energy per unit time.
Everything on the other side is energy. So your units don't match.
x in the equation 0.5kx^2 is not the displacement of the spring, it is the extension of the spring.

You can probably work it out by forces if you track the position of the engine as ##x_e(t)=x_i+vt##, the position of the block is ##x_b(t)##, and the unstretched length of the spring is ##s## ... and put ##x_b(0)=0##. Draw a free-body diagram for the block, and apply Newton's laws. Don't forget there will be static as well as kinetic friction.

The motion can get quite complicated - the mass will oscillate unless critically damped, and may catch and stick sometimes if the static friction is high enough.

1. What is an Energy Balance Spring Slider system?

An Energy Balance Spring Slider system is a mechanical device that is used to convert energy from one form to another. It consists of a spring, a slider, and a track. The spring stores potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the slider moves along the track.

2. How does an Energy Balance Spring Slider system work?

The system works by using the stored potential energy in the spring to propel the slider along the track. As the slider moves, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is then used to do work or power a machine.

3. What are the applications of an Energy Balance Spring Slider system?

Energy Balance Spring Slider systems have a wide range of applications, including in clocks, watches, and other timekeeping devices. They are also used in mechanical toys, energy storage systems, and even in some types of engines.

4. What are the advantages of using an Energy Balance Spring Slider system?

One of the main advantages of using an Energy Balance Spring Slider system is its efficiency. It can store and convert large amounts of energy while maintaining a relatively constant output. Additionally, these systems are low maintenance and have a long lifespan.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Energy Balance Spring Slider system?

While Energy Balance Spring Slider systems have many advantages, there are also some limitations. These systems are sensitive to changes in temperature and can be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance. They also require precise engineering and may be more costly to manufacture compared to other energy conversion systems.