Energy conservation and projectile motion

In summary: Yes, you can get t in terms of the parameters that you have. When you get that, put that into the formula for ∆R, and you will get the equation you need.
Dark_Rak3r

Homework Statement

A spring is pulled back and launches a ball. The ball flies into the air at a perfectly horizontal angle. How far will the ball go before it hits the ground?

Variables for the FINAL equation are:
∆x - distance the spring is pulled back
g - acceleration of gravity
m - mass of the ball
k - spring constant
∆R - range the ball will fly
h - height above the ground at the point that the ball passes the end of the launcher

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 - kinetic energy
1/2kx^2 - elastic potential energy

v=√(kx^2/m) - velocity derived from the kinetic energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke it up into 2 separate parts, one dealing with conservation of energy and the spring, and the other dealing with kinematics and the projectile motion of the ball in the air. I managed to find the velocity of the ball when it leaves the launcher, but beyond that I really had no idea where to go, as I need to find some way to eliminate both the velocity and time variables from the final equation, which would be much easier to use if I was able to.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just consider vertical motion to get the time parameter and then just put that into the equation for horizontal motion

I would, but I need to somehow come up with a final equation using only those variables.

Dark_Rak3r said:
I would, but I need to somehow come up with a final equation using only those variables.

If R is the horizontal distance traveled, then [itex]R=vcos\theta t[/itex]

Consider vertical motion now, use the fact that when the ball hits the ground, the vertical displacement is zero (this will get you the time parameter).

Why would the vertical displacement be zero? The ball is assumed to be starting above the ground, in which case the vertical displacement would be a non-zero number (again, the ball is being shot at a perfectly flat angle, only completing one half of a parabola). Your math is also kind of going right over my head, is there a simpler explanation for what you mean? Also, what would I do with the time? I could solve this easily enough if it was an allowed variable, but it can't be used in the final equation for the problem.

Dark_Rak3r said:
Why would the vertical displacement be zero? The ball is assumed to be starting above the ground, in which case the vertical displacement would be a non-zero number (again, the ball is being shot at a perfectly flat angle, only completing one half of a parabola). Your math is also kind of going right over my head, is there a simpler explanation for what you mean? Also, what would I do with the time? I could solve this easily enough if it was an allowed variable, but it can't be used in the final equation for the problem.

Let's start over now that I've read the horizontal angle thing.

You correctly got the equation for the velocity,v.

We know that ∆R=vt, but you don't have t.

We also have the equation s=s0+Vt-(1/2)gt2 for vertical displacement.

The initial vertical displacement is h. When the ball hits the ground, won't it have a vertical displacement of zero? (When the ball is touching the ground, you would not say it has a vertical displacement).

So you can now find t in terms of the parameters that you have. When you get that, put that into the formula for ∆R, and you will get the equation you need.

I see what you mean by the displacement being 0. What does s represent in the equation you gave? The sine of the launch angle?

Dark_Rak3r said:
I see what you mean by the displacement being 0. What does s represent in the equation you gave? The sine of the launch angle?

No no, s is just the vertical displacement and s0 is the initial vertical displacement

So, just to keep the variables similar, the equation could be written as:
h=hi+vt-(1/2)gt2
where all variables correspond to those in my first post?
Also, if h is the vertical displacement, can I use:
∆d=vi∆t+1/2a(∆t)2

where vi∆t=0 because the initial vertical velocity is 0, and the rest can be solved as ∆t=√(2∆h/a)

Dark_Rak3r said:
So, just to keep the variables similar, the equation could be written as:
h=hi+vt-(1/2)gt2
where all variables correspond to those in my first post?

Here is where you need to be careful, if you take the origin to be where the ball is launched, the initial vertical displacement is zero and you want to put s=-h.

OR otherwise, you want s=0 and s0=h.

and the v in this equation is the initial vertical velocity which is zero. Can you get t now?

So t=√(2h/g) and the final equation is ∆R=√(kx2/m)*√(2h/g)

Dark_Rak3r said:
So t=√(2h/g) and the final equation is ∆R=√(kx2/m)*√(2h/g)

Yes and you have all of the variables you needed in this equation.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely come back to these boards in the future if I need anything else.

EDIT: AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG! I just realized that I had figured out the time equation earlier without realizing it was the right equation. I took the equation h=vi∆t+(1/2)g(t)2 and figured out that vi∆t=0 and that ∆d=(1/2)g(t)2 could become ∆t=√(2h/g). While I'm not sure that that method will work all the time it is aggravating to know that I would have still gotten the right answer even if my explanation was incorrect.

Last edited:

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does energy conservation apply to projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the total energy of the projectile remains constant throughout its flight. This means that the initial kinetic energy (energy of motion) is converted into potential energy (energy of position) at the highest point of the trajectory, and then back into kinetic energy as the projectile falls back down.

3. How can we conserve energy in projectile motion?

To conserve energy in projectile motion, we can minimize the effects of external forces such as air resistance, friction, and gravity. This can be achieved by launching the projectile at the right angle and with the right amount of force, as well as using streamlined and lightweight objects.

4. What are some real-life applications of energy conservation in projectile motion?

Energy conservation in projectile motion has many practical applications, such as in sports like basketball, football, and archery. It is also used in engineering and design of structures such as bridges and buildings, as well as in military technologies like missiles and projectiles.

5. What are the limitations of energy conservation in projectile motion?

While energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics, it is not always applicable in real-life situations due to external factors such as air resistance and friction. In addition, energy is often lost as heat due to inefficiencies in the system. However, these limitations can be minimized through careful design and calculations.