1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation in elastic multi-dimenstional collisions

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone. I believe that I'm in the right place for this topic. If not, please excuse me for the misplacement :)

I am a programmer, not a physicist, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I currently need help with an energy conservation problem.

I am currently working on this problem: i have two discs (perfectly round, equal diameter d and equal mass distribution, but different masses m1 and m2) travelling at different translational velocities v, with different angular speeds ω. These two discs collide with each other at a random point in time t1, with a random Θ angle between their velocity vectors.

From what I remember since highschool, the total kinetic energy is conserved within an isolated system. Thus, I conserve both angular kinetic energy and translational kinetic energy:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ω1i2m1d2+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v1i2 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ω2i2m2d2+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v2i2 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ω1f2m1d2+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m1v1f2 + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ω2f2m2d2+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m2v2f2
    I don't know where to go from here, since i have a single equation with 4 unknown variables.

But, looking at the problem from another angle, I was trying to conserve the total energy:
    E = Ekin + Epot = constant
    Epot = [itex]\frac{kx^{2}}{2}[/itex]
    -[itex]\frac{\delta E}{\delta x}[/itex] = -kx = F
    And this is what i'm interested in, Fx and Fy on each disc.

Having the velocity of disc1
    V(r) = [itex]\vdots \stackrel{0,d_{12}>d}{\frac{k(d_{12}-d)^{2}}{2},d_{12}\leq d}[/itex]
    where d12 = distance between centers of discs 1 and 2
    We can derivate
    F1x = -[itex]\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta x} [ \frac{k(d_{12}-d)^{2}}{2} ][/itex] = k(r12-d) * [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta x} ( d_{12}-d )[/itex]

And so on, typing formulas in here is really time-consuming.

Am I going in the right place with this? Or am I too off-course, away from my target?
    I just want the final velocities, translation and rotation (or accelerations of some sort).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    Is there anyone you'd recommend me to go to and maybe send a private message to?

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3

xts

1. You should rather say: I conserve sum of angular kinetic energy and translational kinetic energy: Anyway in such collision kinetic energy is not conserved - some must be dissipated on friction
    2. Formulas you used for angular kinetic energy are wrong, but (as 1. was wrong) it doesn't matter
    3. Thus you need 4 (not 3) more equations:
    3.a. two of momentum conservation (only two, as the problem is two-dimensional)
    3.b. Constraint that at the point of collision velocities of points at edges of both discs must be the same
    3.c. Total angular momentum must be conserved.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4
    Thank you for the reply, I will try to work with a,b,c from here on, I'll post back with the results (if any, since i can hardly remember the highschool physics :D).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook