Understanding the derivation for Elastic Potential Energy.

In summary, the Elastic potential energy of a strained body is found to be equal to the spring force multiplied by the distance the body has been stretched.
JC2000
Elastic Potential Energy of a Strained Body

(A) Using ## Y = \frac {stress}{strain}## we get ##F = \frac {AY}{L} * x## where ##F## is the restoring force, ##x## is the distance the body is stretched by.

Since Work = PE (spring force/ stress is conservative?)

Thus ##W = \int_{0}^{x} \frac {AY}{L} x dx ## which gives ##W = \frac {AY}{2L} x^2## (?)

OR

(B) For spring force we know ##F = kx## thus ## W = \frac {kx^2}{2}##
Comparing ##F=kx## to ##Y = \frac{FL}{Ax}## gives us ##k=\frac{FA}{L}## substituting this in the above result gives us ##W = \frac {AY}{2L} x^2##

My Questions :
1. Are both derivations correct?
2. My book also mentions ##U = 1/2 * Stress * Strain * Volume##, I am (a)not sure if volume refers to ##x^3## or ##L^3## and (b) I am unable to derive this result from ##W = \frac {AY}{2L} x^2## (apologies for the trivial question).

Slightly related :
3. I was solving a problem (A wire of mass ##m## and length ##l## is suspended from the ceiling. Due to its own weight it elongates, consider cross-section area ##A## and Young's modulus ##Y##. Find the elongation of the wire.) which also involves integration(?).

The solution :
Assume a small length of the wire ##dx## which elongates by ##\Delta dx## so that ##Y = \frac{T/A}{\Delta dx/dx}## which can be expressed as :
## \Delta dx = \frac {T}{YA}dx = \frac{mg}{YAl}*xdx##.

Thus, total elongation ##\Delta l = \int \Delta dx = \int_{0}^{l} \frac {mg}{YAl}*xdx = \frac{mgl}{2YA}##

Here I have two questions (c) Why is the fact that each small length of wire considered undergoes a slightly different F, ignored (I can't fathom how to deal with this though, some sort of 'double integration' possibly?)?

(d) How does ##\frac {T}{YA}dx = \frac{mg}{YAl}*xdx##

4. Lastly, throughout the derivation for stretching the body, signs are ignored, If I understand correctly. signs can be assigned as per convenience (for compression/ stretching or for work done by restoring force/ work done by system) and the chosen signs need to be mentioned initially for the sake of consistency (?). Is this rigorous enough? Or is there some convention that is generally followed here?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes
2. Volume = AL.
3. It's not ignored. T = mgx/L. If x is measured from 0 at the bottom to L at the top, the weight of the wire below the point x is mgx/L.

Likes JC2000
Thank you very much that clears things up!
(4.?)

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of potential energy that is stored in the elastic materials such as rubber bands, springs, or elastic cords.

2. How is elastic potential energy derived?

Elastic potential energy is derived from the concept of Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it has.

3. What is the formula for calculating elastic potential energy?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is E = ½kx², where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the elasticity of a material affect its potential energy?

The elasticity of a material directly affects its potential energy. The more elastic a material is, the more potential energy it can store when stretched or compressed. This is because a more elastic material can be stretched or compressed further, resulting in a larger displacement and therefore, a higher potential energy.

5. Can elastic potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. When a spring or elastic material is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object returns to its original shape. This conversion of energy is what allows objects like rubber bands or bungee cords to bounce back and forth.