Energy conservation in nuclear fission

In summary, the conversation discusses how energy is conserved in fission and how the mass defect accounts for this conservation. The difference in binding energy is the mass defect and it includes the kinetic energy of the fission fragments. Conservation of energy can be explained by the equation: Mass of parent nucleus = mass of daughters + kinetic energy, where the mass is equal to the rest mass of components plus the negative binding energy. The greater binding energy of daughter nuclei leads to a more negative value, resulting in a positive kinetic energy to balance out the equation.
cormzy
TL;DR Summary
I know that in fission, a massive nucleus breaks up into two less massive nuclei, I know that the resulting nuclei have a greater binding energy per nucleon due to the decreased diameter of the nucleus which increases the strength of the strong nuclear force. (The strong nuclear force does work on the nucleus). I know that the mass defect is converted into kinetic energy of fission fragments.
Hi all,
I struggle to understand how energy is conserved I fission.
If the binding energy per nucleon increases, surely the mass defect simply accounts for that difference to conserve energy before and after.
How does the mass defect account for the kinetic energy of the fission fragments as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in binding energy is the mass defect. It's not some separate effect that has to be accounted for.

Conservation of energy dictates that:
Mass of parent nucleus = mass of daughters + kinetic energy (and radiation etc.)
Where
mass = rest mass of components (same before and after) + (negative) binding energy
and
parent binding energy > sum of daughters binding energy (greater binding energy of daughter nuclei means it's more negative)
So
rest mass of components - rest mass of components + parent binding energy - daughters binding energy = kinetic energy
i.e.
##\Delta##binding energy (mass defect) = kinetic energy

1. What is nuclear fission and how does it produce energy?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy. This energy is harnessed and used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants.

2. How does energy conservation play a role in nuclear fission?

Energy conservation is important in nuclear fission because it ensures that the energy released from the splitting of atoms is used efficiently. This means minimizing any energy losses and maximizing the amount of energy that can be converted into usable electricity.

3. What are some methods used to conserve energy in nuclear fission?

One method is to use a moderator, such as water or graphite, to slow down the neutrons produced during fission. This allows more of the neutrons to be absorbed by other atoms, increasing the efficiency of the reaction. Another method is to use control rods to absorb excess neutrons and regulate the rate of fission.

4. How does nuclear waste impact energy conservation in nuclear fission?

Nuclear waste is a byproduct of nuclear fission and can remain radioactive for thousands of years. Proper disposal and management of nuclear waste is crucial for energy conservation because it ensures that the environment and future generations are not harmed by the harmful radiation.

5. What are the potential risks and benefits of energy conservation in nuclear fission?

The benefits of energy conservation in nuclear fission include a reliable and efficient source of energy, reduced carbon emissions, and a lower dependence on fossil fuels. However, there are also potential risks, such as the release of radioactive materials, accidents, and the issue of nuclear waste disposal. These risks must be carefully managed to ensure the safe and responsible use of nuclear energy.