Energy conservation law problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the force exerted by a vertical wall on a ball connected to another ball by a weightless rod. By using the conservation of energy and considering the complete acceleration of the right ball, the horizontal component of the ball's acceleration can be found and used to calculate the horizontal force on the ball. The tangential acceleration must also be taken into account by using Newton's 2nd law for rotation.
Petrulis

Homework Statement

Here is the drawing which shows the situation:

http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=drawingae3.jpg

The mass of each ball is equal to m. A rod which connects the balls is weightless. A vertical wall affects a ball which is below with force F. I need to find this force when the angle between the rod and ground is alfa (the rod is vertical at the beginning).

The Attempt at a Solution

Stress in the rod T.

Potential energy of the right ball is
PE = mgR sin(α)

Kinetic energy of the right ball is
KE = 1/2 m v²(α)

Conservation of energy:
KE + PE = Eo
1/2 m v²(α) + mgR sin(α) = mgR
v²(α) = 2 gR (1 - sin(α))

Centripetal accleration:
a(α) = v²(α)/R = 2g(1 - sin(α))

Balance of force along the rod:
ma(α) = mg sin(α) - T(α)
2mg(1 - sin(α)) = mg sin(α) - T(α)
mg(2 - 3sin(α)) = -T(α)
T(α) = mg(3sin(α) - 2)

Answer:
F(α) = T(α) cos (α) = mg(3sin(α) - 2)cos(α)

But the last equation means that if α<arcsin(2/3) = 41.8 deg, the left ball will no longer touch the wall. Is it possible? Maybe there are some mistakes in the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the tangential acceleration of the ball?

Well does this mean that the right ball gets some rotational kinetic energy because it rotates around the left ball (in my solution this energy is not counted) and the left ball doesn't get any rotational kinetic energy because it is located at the rotation centre? Maybe then I should use moment of inertia, but I have no idea how to implement this.

I think you have made a mistake in this step:

Balance of force along the rod:
ma(α) = mg sin(α) - T(α)

it should be:

mg sin (alpha) - T/cos(alpha) = 2mg(1-sin(alpha))

think about the forces on the rod (or applied through the rod): there is weight, and "T/cos(alpha)" .( The actual force is T but there is also a vertical force applied. Because they change accordingly with the angle, the force applied through the rod is T/cos(alpha)

then rearranging that I got,

3mg*sin(alpha)*cos(alpha) - 2mg*cos(alpha)=T

Petrulis said:
Well does this mean that the right ball gets some rotational kinetic energy because it rotates around the left ball (in my solution this energy is not counted) and the left ball doesn't get any rotational kinetic energy because it is located at the rotation centre? Maybe then I should use moment of inertia, but I have no idea how to implement this.
No need to consider the rotational energies of the balls--assume they are small. I assume that the problem states that there is no friction between the left ball and the wall or floor, and that you are to find the horizontal force exerted by the vertical wall. My suggestion was to consider the complete acceleration of the right ball, not just the centripetal acceleration. Find the horizontal component of the ball's acceleration and use it to find the horizontal force on the ball.

Doc Al said:
No need to consider the rotational energies of the balls--assume they are small. I assume that the problem states that there is no friction between the left ball and the wall or floor, and that you are to find the horizontal force exerted by the vertical wall. My suggestion was to consider the complete acceleration of the right ball, not just the centripetal acceleration. Find the horizontal component of the ball's acceleration and use it to find the horizontal force on the ball.

Thanks for explanation. But could anyone give a suggestion about counting horizontal component of the ball's acceleration. And I have no idea how this tangential acceleration interrelates with centripetal acceleration.

The total acceleration is the combination of centripetal and tangential components. You can find the horizontal component of the total acceleration by finding the horizontal components of the centripetal and tangential pieces. (Figure out the tangential acceleration of the ball using Newton's 2nd law for rotation.)

1. What is the energy conservation law problem?

The energy conservation law problem is a concept in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is the energy conservation law important?

The energy conservation law is important because it is a fundamental principle in the study of physics and helps us understand the behavior of energy in various systems. It also has practical applications in the development of energy-efficient technologies and sustainable energy sources.

3. Can the energy conservation law be violated?

No, the energy conservation law is a fundamental law of nature and has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments. It has never been observed to be violated, and any apparent violations can be explained by the transfer or transformation of energy that may not have been initially considered.

4. How is the energy conservation law applied in real-life situations?

The energy conservation law is applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of energy-efficient buildings, vehicles, and appliances. It is also used in the development of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, which rely on the transfer and transformation of energy from one form to another.

5. What are some common examples of energy conservation law problems?

Some common examples of energy conservation law problems include calculating the energy required to lift an object to a certain height, determining the energy efficiency of a machine, and analyzing the energy flow in a chemical reaction. Other examples include the conservation of energy in collisions, pendulum swings, and simple harmonic motion.