Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation of electrons

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    If electrons conserve energy, why they don't stop to move? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because stopping electrons require energy.

Zz.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    And what will happen if the electrons stop? Will they fall down together with the protons?

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

May I suggest that next time, you frame your question as clearly and in the fullest manner as possible. You'll notice that in your original question, you mention NOTHING about any protons, or the scenario that you are referring to. None of us here are able to guess what you have in mind.

Electrons in an atom doesn't stop moving, because the idea of electron "moving" in an atomic orbital is old school. Please read the FAQ in the General Physics forum for more on this.

Zz.

6. Sep 13, 2007 #5
    I know that the electrons by the modern physics are waves, but what will happen if those waves fall down?

7. Sep 13, 2007 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

what do you mean by a wave "falling down"? Where?

8. Sep 13, 2007 #7
    I suppose instead of electrons "falling" into the nucleus, we could always just bombard the nucleus with electrons. But I don't think that's what you are asking about.

Keep in mind these electrons don't have a localized, well defined position around the nucleus.

Anyway, I know you asked Zapper this question, so I'll let him answer it. But, my opinion is that I'm not sure anyone can answer your question because it is asking for an answer to a situation that isn't described by current physics. We can calculate an electron's energy levels in a potential well using quantum mechanics, for example; but the electron in your atom has some energy, and if its energy ends up "falling" all the way (emits an integer times plack's constant quantum of energy), it "falls" into the ground state and not any more.

Maybe you'll want to rephrase your question if you understood what I said?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?