Energy dissipated as heat during a time interval over resistor with constant pot. dif

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of heat dissipated by a 1.5 k(ohm) resistor with a constant 20 V potential difference over a 2 minute time interval. The relevant equations are deltaV = -Ed, which may not be applicable, and equations relating power with energy and power with voltage and resistance.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

How much energy is dissipated as heat over 2 minute time interval by a 1.5 k(ohm) resistor which has a constant 20 V potential difference across its leads?

Homework Equations

deltaV=-Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

In my notes this is the only equation that seems like it might work here. I assume I probably have to use some other equations to figure out the d

Physics news on Phys.org

deltaV=-Ed
The E in this formula is electric field, which you don't have in this problem.
You need a formula for electric energy or a more general one relating power with energy along with a formula relating power with voltage and resistance.

1. What is energy dissipated as heat in a resistor?

The energy dissipated as heat in a resistor is the energy that is lost as heat when an electric current passes through it. This is due to the resistance of the material in the resistor, which creates friction and causes the energy to be converted into heat instead of being used to power a device or circuit.

2. How is energy dissipated as heat calculated in a resistor?

The energy dissipated as heat in a resistor can be calculated using the formula E = I^2 x R x t, where E is the energy dissipated (in Joules), I is the current (in Amperes), R is the resistance (in Ohms), and t is the time interval (in seconds). This formula is based on Ohm's law, which states that the current through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

3. Why does energy dissipate as heat in a resistor?

Energy dissipates as heat in a resistor due to the Joule heating effect. This is caused by the collisions of electrons with the atoms in the resistor's material, which results in the conversion of electrical energy into heat. The higher the resistance of the material, the more energy will be dissipated as heat.

4. How does the potential difference affect the energy dissipated as heat in a resistor?

The potential difference, or voltage, across a resistor determines the rate at which energy is dissipated as heat. The higher the potential difference, the more energy will be dissipated as heat in a given amount of time. This is because a higher potential difference results in a higher current flowing through the resistor, which leads to more collisions between electrons and atoms and thus more heat being generated.

5. Can energy dissipated as heat be recovered in a resistor?

No, energy dissipated as heat in a resistor cannot be recovered. This energy is lost and cannot be converted back into electrical energy. This is why resistors are often used in circuits to control the amount of energy that is dissipated as heat and prevent damage to other components that may be sensitive to high temperatures.