1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy dissipated in RC circuits

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. You are investigating how energy is transferred in circuits with batteries, resistors, and a capacitor. First you take an uncharged capacitor and connect it in a simple series circuit with a resistor and a battery. You wait for the circuit to reach a steady state. After a steady state is reached, you disconnect the capacitor. You then connect the capacitor in a simple circuit with a resistor (of different resistance) only (no battery) and wait for this second circuit to reach a new steady state. Your job is to find algebraic expressions that represent the total energy dissipated by each resistor.

2. Relevant equations

t=0, deltaVc=0
    t→∞ deltaVc=Vo
    deltaV =Q/C ⇔Q=C*deltaVc=CVo

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you know the formula for the stored energy in a charged capacitor? If not, can you derive it, using the voltage (=energy per new charge) as function of the charge at the capacitor?

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Total energy dissipated in each resistor is ∫i2R dt from 0 to ∞.

What is the current i(t) while the capacitor charges?

What is i(t) while the capacitor discharges?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted