Energy dissipated in the loop during mag. field change

In summary, the current induced in the loop is 0.7 A, and the energy dissipated in the loop during the change in the magnetic field is 9.8 * 10-4 J.
moenste

Homework Statement

A closed wire loop in the form of a square of side 4.0 cm is mounted with its plane horizontal. The loop has a resistance of 2.0 * 10-3 Ω, and negligible self inductance. The loop is situated in a magnetic field of strength 0.70 T directed vertically downwards. When the field is switched off, it decreases to zero at a uniform rate in 0.80 s. What is:

(a) the current induced in the loop,
(b) the energy dissipated in the loop during the change in the magnetic field?

Show on a diagram, justifying your statement, the direction of the induced current.

Answers: (a) 0.70 A, (b) 7.8 * 10-4 J.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) E = - N d Φ / d t, where Φ = B A = 0.7 * (0.04 * 0.04)

E = - 1 * ((0.7 * (0.04 * 0.04)) / 0.8) = 1.4 * 10-3 V.

I = V / R = 1.4 * 10-3 / 2 * 10-3 = 0.7 A.

(b) P = I2 R = V2 / R = 0.72 * 2 * 10-3 = 9.8 * 10-4 J. Why this answer is larger than the given one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again!
Glad to see you worked out the first part.
moenste said:
P = I2 R = V2 / R = 0.72 * 2 * 10-3 = 9.8 * 10-4 J. Why this answer is larger than the given one?
What's the second part of the question asking?

Likes moenste
LemmeThink said:
What's the second part of the question asking?
Hi again :)!

Well, it's asking for the energy dissipated in the loop during the change in the magnetic field. When B changes from 0.7 T to 0 T in 0.80 s.

And you've found...?

Likes moenste
LemmeThink said:
And you've found...?
moenste said:
P = I2 R = V2 / R = 0.72 * 2 * 10-3 = 9.8 * 10-4 J
?

Do you know what P stands for? Is it the energy dissipated? If not, how are the two related?

Likes moenste
LemmeThink said:
Do you know what P stands for? Is it the energy dissipated? If not, how are the two related?
P is power. Indeed it's not energy dissipated.

No idea then what is the dissipated energy.

Update: I ran into a E = P t formula. So 9.8 * 10-4 * 0.8 = 7.8 * 10-4 J. So I think this should be correct.

LemmeThink said:
Here you go : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)

Btw, loving the likes, but you don't need to give me a like for every post of mine;)
Thank you! I think this should be correct:
moenste said:
Update: I ran into a E = P t formula. So 9.8 * 10-4 * 0.8 = 7.8 * 10-4 J. So I think this should be correct.

It's said in the rules to appreciate the help, and since everybody is helping here for free, that's the only way of saying "thank you" and not writing it every time :).

Maybe you could help with this post? It's stuck since Saturday : (.

What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation is the process by which energy is lost or converted into a form that is not useful for performing work.

How is energy dissipation related to magnetic field change?

When a magnetic field changes, it can induce electric currents in conductive materials, which in turn dissipate energy in the form of heat.

What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in a loop during a magnetic field change?

The amount of energy dissipated depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the size and material of the loop, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes.

Can the energy dissipated in a loop during a magnetic field change be minimized?

Yes, the energy dissipation can be minimized by using materials with low electrical resistance, decreasing the size of the loop, and changing the magnetic field slowly.

What are some real-world applications of understanding energy dissipation in magnetic field changes?

Understanding energy dissipation in magnetic field changes is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, material science, and renewable energy, to optimize energy usage and minimize losses.