Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy from air

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    Is it possible to make electrons flow in a circuit just using air or electrolysis of air or sumthing like that. Is an aircell possible?????

-Benzun

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What, exactly, would make them flow?

4. Feb 6, 2006 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Not really. Electrolysis of air creates ozone, but ozone is very unstable so it breaks down on whatever it hits. Sometimes that ozone will hit an organic molecule and destroy it. This is why those expensive Ionic Breeze air cleaners are actually worth buying. :wink:

5. Feb 21, 2006 #4
    What about using Oxygen in air, it will react with with many substance and redox may be formed.The reactionrate may be controlled by catalyst

Well, i am not sure is it possible , just ask and imagine:grumpy:

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

In Canada we called that "fire"

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6
    Water can be used as a "cell" and is composed of two of the elements existant in "air" But air is much less dense than water, so I would venture to say that yes, it is theoretically possible to create an air cell, but horribly inefficient.

8. Mar 3, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One is pretty much stuck with Windmills or Wind Turbines.

9. Apr 30, 2006 #8
    DARPA has been looking into fuel cells that use air for powering micro airial vehicles. In a standard fuel cell a red-ox reaction (although it has been a looooong time since i was in chem) occurs and the electrons from this reaction are used to provide a current and electro motive force. I believe the fuel cell arrangements darpa is looking into use the oxygen in the air as an oxidizer and a fuel such as hydrogen. I am not sure of the technical details or how the configure the circuit.

10. Jul 20, 2007 #9
    redox reactions..... does anyone have a sugestion... is it possible to make electrons flow in any other way??? I know i am acting dumb but is it possible to make electrons jump from one atom to another by some other way?? is it possible to make the atoms unstable???

11. Jul 20, 2007 #10
    when i mean unstable i mean kind of exited state where an electron needs to be kicked out.... not unstable like in the nucleus....

12. Jul 20, 2007 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Electrons can flow by adding an electric/magnetic field. Electrons jumping between atoms is called ionization. Atoms can be made unstable by heating them.

13. Jul 20, 2007 #12
    so is heat the only way to ionize??? i am pretty dumb... is there any other method like some irregularity in the electric or magnetic field???

14. Jul 20, 2007 #13
    what do you mean by irregularity in electric or magnetic field??

15. Jul 20, 2007 #14
    The very fact that there are discrete energy levels for specific nuclear combinations means that there is some regular pattern in the electric and magnetic field in-between the electrons and nucleus. Please forgive me if I am wrong, so have any idea to affect this field????

16. Jul 20, 2007 #15
    as has been already pointed out, these fields can be affected by heating or application of external magnetic fields

17. Jul 20, 2007 #16
    can you tell me how far it is possible to do by using external magneting field??? please give me reading materials, i am just a student.

18. Jul 20, 2007 #17
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  19. Jul 21, 2007 #18
    heat makes water split into hydrogen and oxygen but this needs massive amounts of heat

the people who tested the first nuclear bomb thought that they were going to set the sky afire (just a thought)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?