Energy gap between brillouin zones?

In summary, the conversation discusses a monovalent 2D crystal with rectangular lattice constants and finding expressions for the fermi energy and fermi wavevector. It is shown that the fermi surface extends beyond the first zone if 2a > bπ. If the crystal is divalent, the energy gap between the first and second brillouin zone is estimated. The conversation also discusses the relation 2a > bπ and the gap equation for the second part.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Consider a monovalent 2D crystal with a rectangular lattice constants ##a## and ##b##. Find expressions for the fermi energy and fermi wavevector in 2D. Show that the fermi surface extends beyond first zone if ## 2a > b\pi##. If the crystal is now divalent, estimate the energy gap between the first and second brillouin zone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
I found the density of states to be ## g(E) dE= \frac{1}{\pi} \frac{m}{\hbar^2} dE##. Fermi energy is then found to be ##E_F = \frac{n\pi \hbar^2}{m} ##. Wavevector is also found to be ##k_F = (2n\pi)^{\frac{1}{2}}##. Since it atom is monovalent, ##n = \frac{1}{ab}##. The fermi energy and wavevector thus becomes ##E_F = \frac{\pi \hbar^2}{mab}## and ##k_F = \left( \frac{2\pi}{ab} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}##.

How do I continue and show the relation ##2a > b\pi##?

Physics news on Phys.org
When ## a=b ## then ## 1 < \pi/2 ##.

theodoros.mihos said:
When ## a=b ## then ## 1 < \pi/2 ##.
How did you get that?

1st zone is between ##\pm \pi/2 ##.

theodoros.mihos said:
1st zone is between ##\pm \pi/2 ##.

I just solved the first part. The brillouin zone exceeds when
[tex]k > \frac{\pi}{a}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{ab}} = \frac{\pi}{a}[/tex]

For the second part,
is the gap simply
[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}( k_x^2 - k_y^2) = \frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2m} \left( \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{b}^2 \right) [/tex]

Ok is the same. I use numerics. Check values of ##a,b## for left part be smaller than right.

theodoros.mihos said:
Ok is the same. I use numerics. Check values of ##a,b## for left part be smaller than right.
It's given that ##a>b##. Is my part (b) right?

inverce a,b roles. the answer is indepented to which is a an which is b

Likes unscientific

1. What is the energy gap between brillouin zones?

The energy gap between Brillouin zones is the difference in energy levels between two consecutive Brillouin zones in a crystal lattice. It is an important concept in solid state physics and is related to the periodicity of the crystal structure.

2. How is the energy gap between brillouin zones calculated?

The energy gap between Brillouin zones is calculated by taking the difference in energy levels between the two Brillouin zones. This can be done by using the reciprocal lattice vector and the wave vector associated with the Brillouin zone.

3. What factors influence the size of the energy gap between brillouin zones?

The size of the energy gap between Brillouin zones is influenced by factors such as the crystal structure, the type of bonding between atoms in the crystal, and the temperature of the system. It can also be affected by external factors such as applied pressure or an electric field.

4. How does the energy gap between brillouin zones affect the electronic properties of a material?

The energy gap between Brillouin zones can influence the electronic properties of a material in various ways. It can affect the conductivity, optical properties, and other electronic behaviors of the material. The size of the energy gap also determines whether a material is an insulator, semiconductor, or conductor.

5. Can the energy gap between brillouin zones be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the energy gap between Brillouin zones can be controlled or manipulated through various methods. For example, it can be altered by changing the crystal structure, introducing impurities or defects in the crystal, or applying external stimuli such as pressure or an electric field. These manipulations can be used to tailor the electronic properties of materials for specific applications.