1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Always calculating Fermi energy incorrectly

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't really a homework question but I didn't know where to put it.

2. Relevant equations

##E_f = \frac{h^2 k_f^2}{2m}##
    ##k_f = (3 \pi^2n)^{\frac{1}{3}}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm going through a lot of examples and every time I punch the numbers in I get an incorrect result.

For example, I'm looking at the below solution, which has come from a typical 'find the Fermi energy' question. The image shows the final stage of the problem, where n has been found and all that's left to do is plug it into the given Fermi energy equation.
    2jbqm28.jpg

However my attempt comes out like so:

##E_f = \frac{\hbar^2 k_f^2}{2m} = \frac{\hbar^2(3\pi^2 2.65*10^28)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2m} = \frac{(6.63*10^{-34})^2(3\pi^2*2.65*10^{28})^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2*9.1*10^{-31}} = 2.05*10^{-17}##

##\frac{2.05*10^{-17}}{1.6*10^{-19}}= 128eV##

## \neq 3.2eV##

What's going wrong??? I'm making a similar mistake on every Fermi Energy problem I do. The one common error I'm noticing is that my answers always seem to be out be a factor of ##10^{-2}##

Where is the glaring, basic textbook error I'm making here? Something to do with using the correct units? An incorrect value for one of the constants? I think I need a second pair of eyes to look this over for me.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're using the value for ##h##, not ##\hbar##.

4. May 14, 2016 #3
    :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted